Delphix Toolkits (dxToolkit and dxmToolkit)

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

dx_ctl_users can not create a "Self-Service Only" user

• 1.  dx_ctl_users can not create a "Self-Service Only" user

Posted 12-12-2019 09:03:00 AM
    Delphix Engine version

I am seeing an error when trying to create a "Self-Service Only" user with the dxtolkit command dx_ctl_users.

I have created an input file named "create_JRK.csv". Note that the last attribute, js_user, is set to "Y"

#Command,Username,First Name,Last Name,Email,work phone,home phone,mobile phone,Authtype,principal,password,admin_priv,js_user

C,JRK,,,JRK@pfa.dk,,,,LDAP,prod\JRK,,N,Y

Then I run the command, I get this output:

C:\> dx_ctl_users -d delphix_en_01 -file create_JRK.csv

User JRK created. Role Jet Stream User not found.

C:\>

In Delphix Management à Manage à Users, the user JRK is created, but with Type = "Non-admin". I was expecting Type = "Self-Service Only".

Delphix Virtualization Engine version: 5.3.3.0

Dx Toolkit version: 2.3.7

------------------------------
    Klaus Werdelin
    Mr
    Delphix Community Members

• 2.  RE: dx_ctl_users can not create a "Self-Service Only" user

Posted 12-12-2019 09:27:00 AM
    Hi Klaus,

Would you try to recreate the user with the follwing content in the csv file.

C,JRK,,,JRK@pfa.dk,,,,LDAP,prod\JRK,,Y

Regards,

Mouhssine

Mouhssine SAIDI
    Community Member

• 3.  RE: dx_ctl_users can not create a "Self-Service Only" user

Posted 12-12-2019 09:57:00 AM

Hi Mouhssine

I tried the string you suggested, but that created an "Admin" user.

Also, I tried this string with an extra comma (perhaps that was what you meant)

C,JRK,,,JRK@pfa.dk,,,,LDAP,prod\JRK,,,Y

But that again creates a "Non-admin" user, not a "Self-Service Only" user (and also gives the additional message "Role Jet Stream User not found.".

Best Regards

Klaus Werdelin

• 4.  RE: dx_ctl_users can not create a "Self-Service Only" user

Posted 12-12-2019 10:09:00 AM
    Hello Klaus-

There was a transition in the product naming from "Jet Stream" to "Self Service"... the message feedback you posted suggests the version of dxToolkit being used is perhaps using the older reference which has been changed in the API.  

In dxToolkit v2.3.9.1, there is an explicit reference "dx_ctl_users - fix for Self Service users support in 5.3".  As the current version is now 2.4.4, the version you are running (2.3.7) is quite a few revisions behind the most current.

Based on the changelog reference and the message you are receiving, I would advise at least updating to 2.3.9.1, if not the most current 2.4.4, and retry the operation.

The dxToolkit change log can be found at https://github.com/delphix/dxtoolkit/blob/master/CHANGELOG.md.

Please update this conversation again once the update is made and the operation re-tested, and we can advise further at that time if the attempt is still unsuccessful.

Sean Nothdurft
    Senior Member Technical Staff
    Delphix

• 5.  RE: dx_ctl_users can not create a "Self-Service Only" user
    Best Answer

Posted 12-12-2019 10:30:00 AM
    Edited by Klaus Werdelin 12-13-2019 11:19:06 AM
    Hi,

I crossed with Sean's reply.

My finding on the source code for the last release

my $jsuser;
    if (version->parse($self->{_dlpxObject}->getApi()) < version->parse("1.10.0")) {
    $jsuser = $self->{_roles}->getRoleByName('Jet Stream User')->{reference};
    } else {
    $jsuser = $self->{_roles}->getRoleByName('Self-Service User')->{reference};
    }

On the release you are using sets the role to 'Jet Stream User' , that was replaced by 'Self-Service User' starting the version 5.3.1 I believe

Regards,

Mouhssine

Mouhssine SAIDI
    Community Member

• 6.  RE: dx_ctl_users can not create a "Self-Service Only" user

Posted 12-12-2019 01:25:00 PM
    Thanks Mouhssine, review of the source code was my next sanity check :) 

As a final illustration, using dx_ctl_users from dxToolkit 2.4.2 on my own 5.3.6.0 Engine, I confirmed the successful creation of a Self-Service only user using a CSV file (in my case, I used native auth method rather than LDAP, but that's not relevant to the concern here of legacy Jet Stream API reference).

C,test,first,last,sean@delphix.com,720xxxxxxx,720xxxxxxx,720xxxxxxx,NATIVE,,test,N,Y​
    $ ./dx_ctl_users -d sean5360 -file ./user.csv
    User test created. 

Self Service user successfully created

Sean Nothdurft
    Delphix

• 7.  RE: dx_ctl_users can not create a "Self-Service Only" user

Posted 06-18-2020 01:02:00 AM
    Edited by Vijayakrishna Sripathi 06-18-2020 01:06:10 AM

Hi Sean,

Do you have any document to follow the steps.
    we have build number of engines last month and now have to provide self service access to all the users for each engine.

So, I am trying to automate this stuff by using  dx_ctl_users utility , if you have any reference document/steps could you please share to us.it would be very great full.

Thanks,
    VJ

Vijayakrishna Sripathi
    Systems Engineer
    HealthEdge

• 8.  RE: dx_ctl_users can not create a "Self-Service Only" user

Posted 06-22-2020 11:03:00 AM

Hi VJ,
    I think you'll find the documentation helpful here: https://github.com/delphix/dxtoolkit/wiki/dx_ctl_users

Thanks,

Michael

Michael Torok
    Director of Knowledge and Community Management
    Delphix

• 9.  RE: dx_ctl_users can not create a "Self-Service Only" user

Posted 12-13-2019 06:23:00 AM

Hi Mouhssine

Thanks for the very interesting codesnip, that almost proves it.

I want to download an updated toolkit but I am unsure how to check whether it's compatible with my engine's 5.3.3.0 version. There are newer Delphix engines out there and I want to avoid using a DxToolkit that is meant for newer versions of Delphix. How to check that?

In the meantime, will test with 2.3.9.1 (hoping that goes with 5.3.3.0).

Best Regards

Klaus Werdelin

Klaus Werdelin

Advanced Operations Consultant

961 App. Hosting & Middleware Non-regulated

NNIT A/S

Østmarken 3A

OEA.G1.P10

DK-2860 Søborg

Denmark

+45 7024 4242 (phone)

+45 3075 0738 (mobile)

CVR: 21 09 31 06

klwr@nnit.com

This e-mail (including any attachments) is intended for the addressee(s) stated above only and may contain confidential information protected by law. You are hereby notified that any unauthorized reading, disclosure, copying or distribution of this e-mail or use of information contained herein is strictly prohibited and may violate rights to proprietary information. If you are not an intended recipient, please return this e-mail to the sender and delete it immediately hereafter. Thank you.

• 10.  RE: dx_ctl_users can not create a "Self-Service Only" user

Posted 12-13-2019 10:47:00 AM
    I do not believe there are any concerns with running the latest dxToolkit with a previous version of Delphix... the releases of dxToolkit are generally not "paired" with an intended Engine version.  There is also currently no compatibility matrix provided, so the release notes previously referenced are your best resource for Engine version specific issues resolved.  

In case an instance is encountered where an API convention change occurs and is supported in a newer version of dxToolkit, the tool also provides an operator to set version of API as need.  This is detailed in the documentation page at https://github.com/delphix/dxtoolkit/wiki... see the -dever option:

Connecting to Delphix engines

DxToolkit can run an operation on one or all engines configured in configuration file. After successful connection to the Delphix Engine a session is saved for a future usage. Default expired time for a session is set to 30 min and it's a Delphix Engine not a DxToolkit parameter. An existing user session can be destroyed using dx_logout command.

If there is no -d nor -all option specified dxtoolkit command will connect to all engines defined with default=true in configuration file.

• -d name or –engine name Run command for one Delphix Engine specified by name
    • -all Run command for all Delphix Engines defined in configuration file
    • -dever Set version of API to particular Delphix Engine version. Supported values are 4.1, 4.2, 4.3, 5.0, 5.1, 5.2, 5.3

In general, I find the most success when any toolkit issues are encountered, to revisit the release notes and documentation, update to the latest version, and then raise an issue if the problem still persists (assuming it's not a usage error, etc).

Sean Nothdurft
    Delphix

• 11.  RE: dx_ctl_users can not create a "Self-Service Only" user

Posted 12-13-2019 11:15:00 AM

Thanks for the useful explanation.

I have in the meantime tried with dxToolkit 2.3.9.1 and it works, ie. I am able to create a "Self-Service Only" user now.

Best Regards

Klaus

Klaus Werdelin

Advanced Operations Consultant

961 App. Hosting & Middleware Non-regulated

NNIT A/S

Østmarken 3A

OEA.G1.P10

DK-2860 Søborg

Denmark

+45 7024 4242 (phone)

+45 3075 0738 (mobile)

CVR: 21 09 31 06

klwr@nnit.com

This e-mail (including any attachments) is intended for the addressee(s) stated above only and may contain confidential information protected by law. You are hereby notified that any unauthorized reading, disclosure, copying or distribution of this e-mail or use of information contained herein is strictly prohibited and may violate rights to proprietary information. If you are not an intended recipient, please return this e-mail to the sender and delete it immediately hereafter. Thank you.