Virtualization Plugins

View Only
  • 1.  SDK plugin.linked.pre_snapshot sounds like it should be running on the staging connection but is actually running on the source host?

Posted 05-23-2019 05:56:00 PM
    Testing the SDK with a modified version of the first_plugin where I have a separate staging IP.  When creating the dSource the linked.pre_snapshot function calls rsync assuming that it is on the staging and pulling from the source, which makes sense.  But after adding some debug messages I found that it is actually running on the source host?  How would I specify the host that I want to run the lib.run_bash on?  Where would I pull the staging host?  Or would I need to add that as my own property?  Other options?
    #VirtualizationPlugins

• 2.  RE: SDK plugin.linked.pre_snapshot sounds like it should be running on the staging connection but is actually running on the source host?

Posted 05-23-2019 06:08:00 PM
    Hi Paul,

I think you're hitting a bug/limitation in our Alpha release. In Alpha, the 'staged_source' input to your 'linked.pre_snapshot' method will have a property called 'connection', which refers to the *source* host only.

This is fixed in Beta. In Beta, the 'staged_source' input to your presnapshot method will have two properties, 'source_connection' and 'staged_connection', and so you can run bash scripts on either the source host or the staging host (or both), depending on what makes sense for your application.

I am not aware of a great workaround for this in Alpha.

• 3.  RE: SDK plugin.linked.pre_snapshot sounds like it should be running on the staging connection but is actually running on the source host?

Posted 05-23-2019 06:12:00 PM
    Thanks!  That's what I would have expected.  So with the Alpha version there is no way to force it to run on the staging?  Or would I need to run everything thru the source?  For rsync I could just reverse the call to push instead.  When is the Beta available?

• 4.  RE: SDK plugin.linked.pre_snapshot sounds like it should be running on the staging connection but is actually running on the source host?

Posted 05-23-2019 07:04:00 PM
    Hi Paul,

Unfortunately there's not a way with Alpha to force a script to execute on staging. You will have to execute everything through the source.

We are hoping to have Beta out next week. We will let you know as soon as it's available. Let us know if you have any other questions. Thanks for reaching out.

- Grant

• 5.  RE: SDK plugin.linked.pre_snapshot sounds like it should be running on the staging connection but is actually running on the source host?

Posted 05-23-2019 07:10:00 PM
    As an interim solution I was able to just reverse the rsync and do the push instead.  Works until we can get the Beta version.  Thanks!

• 6.  RE: SDK plugin.linked.pre_snapshot sounds like it should be running on the staging connection but is actually running on the source host?

Posted 05-23-2019 08:08:00 PM
    Hi Paul,

Could you share some more details on how you ran the rsync? How were you able to establish a connection to staging for the rsync push?