Delphix Products

View Only
  • 1.  Delphix with Exadata

Posted 05-25-2019 03:36:00 AM
    I was going thru lot of documents and community forums. I understand that Delphix VDB cannot make use of Oracle Exadata features such as Smart Scans, HCC, storage indexes. Is it correct ?
    Or is there a hack to be able to use Delphix along with these features? Can you point me to any detailed document that addresses my question.
    #Virtualization

• 2.  RE: Delphix with Exadata

Posted 05-25-2019 09:33:00 PM
    WiSH,

There is indeed a hack to permit any type of storage (including Delphix) to use HCC, whose code resides in the Oracle RDBMS, but which is enabled only for Exadata, Oracle ZFS Appliance, or Oracle Pillar storage.  But, it is a hack, and that's that.

By the way, proof that HCC can be employed on any storage is shared in Jonathan Lewis' Scratchpad blog.

Unlike HCC, other Exadata features like Smart Scans and Storage Indexes are not implemented in the RDBMS, but within the Exadata cell nodes, so a hacker would have to obtain and crack some Exadata cells and integrate it into their system storage.  Needless to say, Delphix would never consider this.

Delphix has a lot of customers who link to source databases on Exadata, and Delphix has customers who create virtual databases (VDBs) on Exadata compute nodes.  Delphix even has customers who do both.

But, as you stated, everyone should be aware that Delphix is not permitted to use HCC and is not able to use Smart Scans, storage indexes, or row projection or any of the features exclusive to Exadata.  So expectations about run-time performance should be adjusted accordingly.

Oracle has purchased and built dozens of application suites over the past 20 years, and some of them have been "tuned" for Exadata only, for example without indexes, so these applications will never perform similar to Exadata on any other platform, including Delphix, and this is fully intentional.

Hope this helps!

-Tim