Delphix Products

View Only
  • 1.  What is vFile?

Posted 04-19-2019 08:23:00 AM
    Hi, everyone)))

What is vFiles? Why is ti need? i readed about vFiles, but i can't understand.

Thanks

• 2.  RE: What is vFile?

Posted 04-19-2019 08:56:00 AM

Hi Bohdan,

The term VFile stands for Virtual File, may be this definition can help you understand more what it means.

Vfile is delphix terminology for virtualized object based on an "unstructured files" that refers to data’s stored in a filesystem in generally not accessed or managed by a RDBMS system.

For example a simple directory, root filesystem of applications like apache, tomcat, EBS ...

You can configure a filesystem as a dsource and keep it in sync within delphix, this allows you to virtualize it and present the same content to numerous servers with all advantages that delphix brings (compression, deduplication, securing data)

Regards,

Mouhssine

• 3.  RE: What is vFile?
    Best Answer

Posted 04-19-2019 03:52:00 PM
    Bohdan,

Perhaps some use-cases for vFiles would be helpful?

1. Virtualizing the directory containing RDBMS software executables and libraries (i.e. Oracle Database $ORACLE_HOME directory), along with virtualizing the Oracle virtual database itself
    2. Virtualizing the directory containing application code (i.e. Peoplesoft, Siebel, etc) along with the virtual database on which it depends

The reason for doing this is that often program code needs to be virtualized along with the database, in order to allow refresh, rewind, and other control of the full stack application being tested.

In example 1 cited above, where the $ORACLE_HOME is virtualized along with the virtualized Oracle database, it is now possible to test most patches and upgrades fully, because now the files and directories can be rewound to a starting point, or refreshed completely from their sources.

In example 2 cited above, there are many situations where application code and database objects are part of a change being tested.  Only virtualizing the database but not the application code makes testing complicated.

Does this help?

Thanks!

-Tim

• 4.  RE: What is vFile?

Posted 04-22-2019 04:47:00 AM
    it is help me)))) Thanks for help.

• 5.  RE: What is vFile?

Posted 05-09-2019 08:33:00 PM