Delphix Products

View Only
  • 1.  What are some algorithms to use to MASK DOLLAR amounts such as salary, expenses, bonus?

Posted 04-11-2019 02:01:00 PM
    What are some algorithms to use to MASK $$$ dollar amounts such as salary, expenses, loans, bonus? Are there out-of-the box algorithms? Thanks
    #Masking

• 2.  RE: What are some algorithms to use to MASK DOLLAR amounts such as salary, expenses, bonus?

Posted 04-11-2019 03:56:00 PM
    One option that might meet your needs is to construct a Secure Lookup algorithm with reasonable dollar amount replacement values. I've found that so long as all the lookup values are valid numerical amounts such as "125.50", etc. the SL algorithm will work to mask numerical data.

If you're hoping to preserve more of nature of your data, another option is using min/max algorithm to eliminate outliers that might identify a specific individual.

• 3.  RE: What are some algorithms to use to MASK DOLLAR amounts such as salary, expenses, bonus?

Posted 04-11-2019 04:04:00 PM
    Can Secure Shuffle work to mix up the numbers?  or can SSN / SSN work to mix up numbers?  Thanks

• 4.  RE: What are some algorithms to use to MASK DOLLAR amounts such as salary, expenses, bonus?

Posted 04-11-2019 04:06:00 PM
    For Secure lookup---I think you need to provide a Lookup text file--with value pairs--but the Salary numbers are too random to make a table of possible values.

• 5.  RE: What are some algorithms to use to MASK DOLLAR amounts such as salary, expenses, bonus?

Posted 04-11-2019 04:27:00 PM
    Hi , The best one for salary, bonus, age ... is the max-min algorithm Regards, Mouhssine

• 6.  RE: What are some algorithms to use to MASK DOLLAR amounts such as salary, expenses, bonus?
    Best Answer

Posted 04-11-2019 04:39:00 PM
    For secure lookup, the file you provide is a newline separate list of replacements, like:

The masking behavior of secure lookup is to cryptographically hash each input value, and replace it with one of the values from the lookup file based on the hash result. So the result with my example input file would be each value replaced with one of those 4 values. There is no need to provide any information about the potential input values.

• 7.  RE: What are some algorithms to use to MASK DOLLAR amounts such as salary, expenses, bonus?

Posted 04-11-2019 04:54:00 PM
    I see--that is quite simple then!!  Sounds good.  So I can make multiple Algorithms for Salary, Bonus, hourly rate, etc with associated Unique lookup tables so the substituted New Values (as masked values) are valid for the ranges and field criteria like 401K =Y/N.  THANKS!

• 8.  RE: What are some algorithms to use to MASK DOLLAR amounts such as salary, expenses, bonus?

Posted 04-11-2019 05:06:00 PM
    Correct, you can create as many secure lookups as you need with data that is realistic for your particular use cases.

• 9.  RE: What are some algorithms to use to MASK DOLLAR amounts such as salary, expenses, bonus?

Posted 04-12-2019 06:05:00 PM
    I agree a SL algorithm would work well here. You might include a $ character in your SL file if needed. Even a Segmented Mapping would work. *note: keep in mind if the bonus amount needs to correspond in range of the salary amount.