Delphix Products

View Only
  • 1.  Reattaching dSources

Posted 03-30-2020 03:33:00 PM
    Hi,

In the latest Delphix Virtualization Engine version- is it still required when re-attaching a dSource that the recovery fork UUID be the same? For example, we'd like to overwrite our source database with a backup and then sync it back up with it's existing dSource in Delphix. In the past we needed to create a whole new dSource each time we did a restore to our source database... not sure if that's still the case in later Delphix versions?

Thanks!

------------------------------
    Meagan Howe
    Database Admin.
    New Jersey Manufacturers Insurance Company

• 2.  RE: Reattaching dSources

Posted 03-30-2020 04:47:00 PM
    Hi Megan,

The requirements in the most recent version of Delphix for attaching a dSource (attachsource CLI command) are the same ( https://docs.delphix.com/docs/developer-s-guide/command-line-interface-guide/cli-cookbook-common-workflows-tasks-and-examples/cli-cookbook-source-databases-and-dsources/cli-cookbook-detaching-and-attaching-a-sql-server-dsource ):

When attaching a SQL Server dSource to a new data source, the new data source must be in the same database satisfying the following constraints:

• Same database name
    • Same recovery fork UUID
    • pptRepository needs to be set to the name of the SQL instance on the staging server. The unlink operation removes the database from the SQL instance on the staging server and unmounts the iscsi luns, reattaching the dSource via the CLI will remount the iscsi luns and puts the database back.
    If the dSource has/had never been detached/unlinked, Delphix can follow the recovery fork UUID if you restore a backup on your source database. This was a feature introduced in Delphix 5.2.4.0 and higher:
      https://support.delphix.com/Delphix_Virtualization_Engine/MSSQL_Server/Restoring_From_SQL_Server_Source_Discontinuity_Event_(KBA1782)

I hope this helps.

Thanks,
      Neal

Neal Stack
    Senior Principal Technical Support Engineer
    Delphix

• 3.  RE: Reattaching dSources

Posted 03-31-2020 03:11:00 PM
    Got it thanks!​

Meagan Howe
    Database Admin.
    New Jersey Manufacturers Insurance Company

• 4.  RE: Reattaching dSources
    Best Answer

Posted 04-02-2020 11:53:00 AM
    Hi Megan,

I actually just tested this and it does seem the recovery fork GUID requirement is no longer required starting in Delphix 5.2.4.0 and higher. I filed a documentation bug:
    • DOC-610 - attachSource for SQL Server is wrong 

What I found was that after reattaching my source database, I had to go back under the dSource's Configuration -> Data Management tab and make sure the "Validated Sync Configuration" was correct (did I want the dSource to ingest t-logs or full dumps, do I want it to use "Autodiscovery" to find the backups, etc.). After the dSource was attached, I asked it to ingest a most recent full database dump that it had not already loaded (this would be a requirement if the dSource needed to ingest t-logs). In the GUI you will see a blue line in the timeline tab denoting a "Source Continuity Reset Point":
    Source Continuity Reset Point

Neal Stack
    Senior Principal Technical Support Engineer
    Delphix