Delphix Products

View Only
  • 1.  Masking - File Format copybook

Posted 08-23-2021 05:44:00 AM

I am trying to upload the below copybook under File Format -> Import Format -> Copybook -> selecting this text file .But the Upload fails with the error message "Error - Failed to parse  Mainframe Dataset file. Please ensure that the content of the Mainframe Dataset format is well-formed."

Can someone please let me know what is missing in the copybook.I have been going through the delphix masking docs for a while but could not get much information on what is this error message means/what is the exact format expected for a Mainframe copybook to be uploaded successfully  in the Masking Engine.

01 CS-CUSTOMER-RECORD.
    10 PERSON-FIRSTNAME PIC X(20).
    10 PERSON-LASTNAME PIC X(40).
    10 PERSON-ADDRESS1 PIC X(50).
    10 PERSON-CITY PIC X(20).
    10 COMP-PHONE PIC X(12).

Thanks.

------------------------------
    Gomathi B
    Community Member
    Sandhata Technologies Limited

• 2.  RE: Masking - File Format copybook
    Best Answer

Posted 08-23-2021 09:10:00 AM
    Hello Gomathi,

Thank you for contacting the Delphix community forum.

I think the issue with the copybook supplied is the formatting.

Delphix supports common COBOL Copybook conventions for ingesting copybooks into a file format for masking.  There are several additional file format rules that must be adhered to in order to ingest the copybook.  Considerations to assure desired masking result are detailed below.  

Copybook File Format considerations/requirements:

• Field Labels in the copybook must be unique
      • Copybook file format must contain an "01" level which begins in column 8 of the file ingested to the file format.  Lower levels should be indented below the 01 level (each lower level should be indented 4 spaces from the previous level).  
      • Redefines clauses should be applied to groups/labels at the same level (e.g. if parent record/group is at "05" level child record/group should be "05"
      • SKIP statements in the copybook should be removed
    Here is an example:

Please let us know if this helps.

Thank you 

Adam

Adam Smith
    Senior Technical Support Engineer
    Delphix

• 3.  RE: Masking - File Format copybook

Posted 08-23-2021 10:41:00 PM
    Thank you so much and this works. Unfortunately I could not find any documents related to these format requirements.
    Could you please share the link/docs, if any with these details for reference.

Gomathi B
    Community Member
    Sandhata Technologies Limited

• 4.  RE: Masking - File Format copybook

Posted 08-24-2021 08:12:00 AM
    Hi Gomathi,

Thank you for the reply I am glad the copybook upload is now working.

It looks like the copybook formatting is missing from our documentation. I will raise this with the documentation to have it added.

The only related information I could find was this: https://maskingdocs.delphix.com/Connecting_Data/Managing_Inventories/#managing-a-mainframe-inventory 

Please let me know if you have any further quesitons.

Thank you

Adam Smith
    Senior Technical Support Engineer
    Delphix