Delphix Products

View Only
  • 1.  Solutions for managing the alerts in Delphix

Posted 05-28-2020 04:37:00 AM

Hello,

I believe that it is possible to improve Delphix Engine's alert communication. Currently in one of my customers we've set the email alerts which is sent by the email provided to the Delphix Engines to an email list.

It's good to know what's going on with the engines via email but if there are planned works performed on source or target hosts it might mean that hundreds of Critical and Warning mails might fill the inbox saying that Delphix cannot reach source or target or a network connection is not working, etc.

So, I would like to ask you how you have implemented solutions for problems like 

1) When Delphix becomes unresponsive: vDBs are not working, GUI/CLI/API not working but unfortunately ping returns alive
    2) When one or more storage becomes unavailable to Delphix: This is where Delphix raises a critical error but as I said recieving an email Delphix not being able to connect to dSource and having an existential crisis like storage should somehow be differentiated
    3) Any 3rd party solutions for checking Delphix or Delphix connecting and sharing/sending logs (or maybe an API integration)

BR,

------------------------------
    Rahim Cetinel
    Solution Architect | Delphix Blackbelt

• 2.  RE: Solutions for managing the alerts in Delphix
    Best Answer

Posted 05-29-2020 06:11:00 AM
    Hi Rahim,

For something like scenario 1, if the GUI/CLI/API are not responding, something has gone wrong and the application stack is stuck, or some network connectivity issue, etc. In such a state it's unlikely the Delphix Engine would be able to take much action itself. That's going to be a Support issue.

For points 2 & 3, you might get what you need from Alert Profiles (see below), but I think you're talking a monitoring/alerting system, some form of which will be in use at most customers and might be configured to work with delphix logs/evemts, depending what they have (or want). There are a few options:

• E-mail alert profiles can be configured to provide some quite complex criteria based on severity, event type, object, etc to different lists. Please see the Alert Profiles sections of Email (SMTP) Alert Notifications for info/examples.
    • SNMP provides basic monitoring, network info/stats, cpu, memory, disk I/O - see Configuring SNMP for info.
    • See Setting SysLog Preferences for info on propagating logs to a centralized syslog server.
    • Splunk can be setup for this, see Splunk Integration.

Hope that helps,

Scott.

Scott MacDonald
    Senior Member Technical Staff
    Delphix

• 3.  RE: Solutions for managing the alerts in Delphix

Posted 06-01-2020 05:45:00 AM
    Hi Scott,
    Thanks a lot for your recommendations, I am following them up with the customer. In the meantime I have another question: Is there anyway to use SNMP for monitoring Delphix for storage level problems? My thinking is that if the storage as a whole or part of it becomes unavailable maybe Delphix is producing some SNMP messages? Or an alternative might be that storage statistics retuns 0 when no storage is detected?

BR,

Rahim Cetinel
    Solution Architect | Delphix Blackbelt

• 4.  RE: Solutions for managing the alerts in Delphix

Posted 06-01-2020 06:15:00 AM
    Hi Rahim,

Yes indeed, Delphix will send SNMP traps to a configured SNMP Manager when Alerts are generated, you can select which severity level to filter on, see Step 9 in the "Configuring SNMP" page in my last post. You can also monitor basic performance with SNMP, but only those listed on the page, I think the Alerts are more what you're looking for here.

Best Regards,

Scott.

Scott MacDonald
    Senior Member Technical Staff
    Delphix