Delphix Products

View Only
  • 1.  Staging server for sybase

Posted 04-28-2020 06:15:00 AM
    Edited by Abhinav Chandra 04-28-2020 06:20:17 AM
    Hi,

staging server is required for sybase to fulfil the ETL methologies. Is it not recommended to use target host for staging too?

Also, what is the minimum requirement for staging host VM?

Thanks & Regards,
    Abhinav

------------------------------
    Abhinav Chandra
    Team Leader
    Accenture

• 2.  RE: Staging server for sybase

Posted 04-28-2020 07:42:00 AM
    Hello Abhinav,

A target host can be used as a staging host. However, we would only recommend this for testing and lab purposes. 

We recommend splitting staging and target environment to avoid overloading the staging environment and maintain good performance.

For the minimum requirements we recommend the following:

Memory and CPU
    32 GB RAM minimum
    4 vCPU minimum

All of our Best Practices for Staging Targets can be found on this page: https://docs.delphix.com/docs/best-practices/best-practices-for-staging-targets

I hope this is helpful. If you have further questions please let us know.

Thank you

Adam

Adam Smith
    Member of Technical Staff
    Delphix

• 3.  RE: Staging server for sybase
    Best Answer

Posted 04-28-2020 08:23:00 AM

One of the main reasons we suggest having different ASE instances for staging databases and VDBs is due to the way ASE assigns database's id's (dbid). When you link your first dSource, a staging database gets created and it gets an "dbid". This dbid is not just in the "sysdatabases" table but also written onto the databases pages.

If you provision a VDB back to this same ASE staging instance, it is a clone of the staging database and it has the same dbid. ASE must assign a new dbid and rewrite the dbid across the VDB's pages. Rewriting the dbid across pages can add to the VDB provisioning time especially if it is a very large database. The following page contains some ASE commands you can run to see the dbid's I'm talking about:
       https://docs.delphix.com/docs539/delphix-administration/sap-ase-environments-and-data-sources/provisioning-vdbs-from-sap-ase-dsources/resizing-an-sap-ase-vdb

With regards to sizing the staging database, I would take that with a grain of salt as it is very generic:
    * How large are the databases and their dumps that Delphix will be ingesting?
    * How many stripes will each dump have? The backupserver will need to be tuned as it is in production to load these backups. Without the same production configuration, the ASE backupserver will unlikely be able to load the backups as fast as they are produced. Please refer to the ASE documentation for tuning ASE backup server. 
    * How frequently will the dumps or transaction logs be produced? This could impact CPU as ASE processes redo/undo each time it load a dump/transaction log.
    * How many VDBs are there? How much memory does the production ASE require to cache data and provide good performance? VDBs are just like physical databases with the difference being that their storage is provided over the network via NFS mounts from Delphix.
    * Will the I/O driven by queries and loading the database dumps/transaction logs fill a 1G network card or will you need a 10G NIC?

When thinking about staging databases and linking dSources, I recommend reading this article:
      https://support.delphix.com/Delphix_Virtualization_Engine/Other_Database_Types/FAQ%3A_Keeping_Delphix_Synchronized_with_ASE_Databases_(KBA5387)

I also suggest this one too:
      https://docs.delphix.com/docs539/delphix-administration/sap-ase-environments-and-data-sources/backup-server-best-practices

Neal Stack
    Senior Principal Technical Support Engineer
    Delphix