Delphix Products

View Only
  • 1.  Not able to discover SQL Server dB in source environment

Posted 07-07-2021 09:16:00 AM
    Hi all,
    I have created a connector environment.
    Using the same, I have created another source environment but Delphix is not able to discover the database. It throws an error regarding sqlcmd.

I have checked and sqlcmd works fine in the source environment directly using cmd. Hence not sure why Delphix throws this error. Can someone please advise?

------------------------------
    Rajat Solanki
    Delphix Community Members

• 2.  RE: Not able to discover SQL Server dB in source environment

Posted 07-07-2021 09:30:00 AM
    Hello,

Delphix does not run sqlcmd (or any other process) directly on the source SQL Server instance. It runs sqlcmd on the staging/connector host.

Everything (PowerShell processes, remote registry reads, etc.) get executed on the staging/connector host.

Please make sure the staging/connector host meets these requirements:
      https://docs.delphix.com/docs/datasets/sql-server-environments-and-data-sources/quick-start-guide-for-sql-server-microsoft-sql-server-on-windows#QuickStartGuideforSQLServer(MicrosoftSQLServeronWindows)-SQLServerStagingHostsandDatabases

I will file a documentation bug to note that the sqlcmd command line utility needs to be installed on this host.

Thanks,
      Neal

Neal Stack
    Senior Principal Technical Support Engineer
    Delphix

• 3.  RE: Not able to discover SQL Server dB in source environment

Posted 07-07-2021 09:43:00 AM
    Hi Neal,

Thank you for the response.
    Yes, sqlcmd is available in the connector environment and works fine when I invoke it on command prompt. Hence not sure why the discovery isn't working.

Could you also please confirm if I need an SQL server DB instance running in the connector environment as well ?

Warm Regards,
    Rajat

Rajat Solanki

• 4.  RE: Not able to discover SQL Server dB in source environment
    Best Answer

Posted 07-07-2021 09:51:00 AM
    Hello,

It is not necessary to have a SQL Server instance installed unless you want this host to server as a staging host where all of the database dumps and transactions get loaded into the staging databases.

It is possible that the utility is installed but it might not be in the PATH environment variable at the time the Delphix Connector was started. It is also possible that it is in the PATH of your test user but not the Delphix operating system user.

If you know that it was installed after the Delphix Connector had already been running, you may wish to go under the Windows -> Services menu and restart the Delphix Connector so this process has the updated path.

Otherwise, you may need to login as the defined Delphix operating system user (not Administrator or some other user) and test running sqlcmd as that particular user.

Thanks,
       Neal

Neal Stack
    Senior Principal Technical Support Engineer
    Delphix

• 5.  RE: Not able to discover SQL Server dB in source environment

Posted 07-07-2021 10:05:00 AM
    Thanks a lot Neal.
    Restarting the Delphix Connector resolved the issue (Connector was installed before sqlcmd utility)

Struggling with this for hours! Thanks again :)

Rajat Solanki