Delphix Products

View Only
  • 1.  Oracle VDB Upgrade from 12c to 19c

Posted 11-26-2020 09:40:00 AM
    Hello,

I have a query in the current setup we have dSource (on 12.1.0.2) and 12 VDB's running on the same version (12.1.0.2). 

Target Host is an RHEL 7 with Grid (s/w only) Installed w/out ASM (Storage). and Oracle Home (12.1.0.2).

In the current scheme of things, dSource will stay on 12.1.0.2 and we are using Delphix Provided Upgrade Scripts to provision and upgrade VDB's from 12.1.0.2 (current version) to 19.8.0.0 (upgraded version), we will be integrating and utilizing Jenkins Pipeline (for CI/CD deployment). 

The query I have is do we need Grid (s/w only) Installation to be upgraded to 19c and have additional Oracle Home (19c) prior to upgrading the VDB's? 

Many Thanks
    Sharad Gupta

------------------------------
    Sharad Gupta
    Delphix Community Members

• 2.  RE: Oracle VDB Upgrade from 12c to 19c
    Best Answer

Posted 11-26-2020 10:12:00 AM
    Hello Sharad-

A few thoughts on this... First, it is unclear if you are provisioning as a single instance or RAC VDB; if it is the former, then the Grid version will be less relevant to Delphix.

To provision from 12.1.0.2 source you will require a 12.1 Oracle home on the target Environment; following the provision, you can upgrade the VDB to use the 19.8 home as desired. This is detailed in our product documentation at:

https://docs.delphix.com/docs/datasets/oracle-environments-and-data-sources/provisioning-and-managing-virtual-databases-with-oracle/upgrading-an-oracle-vdb

Based on what you have described, you would be following Procedure B (Create a new ORACLE_HOME).

Finally, the interoperability of Grid SW vs. Oracle home is a question that needs to be addressed by Oracle support, as this is an Oracle operational question. However, it is my understanding that you may use earlier releases of Oracle Database with 19c Grid, based on Oracle documentation that specifically details this:

https://docs.oracle.com/en/database/oracle/oracle-database/19/cwlin/using-earlier-oracle-database-releases-with-oracle-grid-infrastructure.html#GUID-17B7D297-1788-4597-ABE4-1EE0DA94F84A
    https://docs.oracle.com/en/database/oracle/oracle-database/19/cwlin/general-restrictions-for-using-earlier-oracle-database-releases.html#GUID-8910EA8B-6609-442A-99AB-9902BA7E21D6

So, based on the Oracle details, it would seem to make sense that a 19c Grid installation is leveraged for compatibility.

I hope this answers your inquiry! Please let us know if we can offer any other feedback.

Sean Nothdurft
    Senior Principal Technical Support Engineer
    Delphix

• 3.  RE: Oracle VDB Upgrade from 12c to 19c

Posted 11-27-2020 08:54:00 AM
    Edited by Lisa Garczynski 11-27-2020 08:54:48 AM
    Hi Sharad,

Your grid version will need to be at the same or higher than the highest database version.  So you'll need to upgrade grid first, then you can install the 12.1 and 19.8 Oracle RDBMS homes on the RHEL 7 server.  We did this in many of our Delphix and production environments when we migrate to new servers.

You indicate that you're using Delphix Provided Upgrade Scripts to upgrade your DB. Can you give me more information about this?  I don't see any scripts in the documentation.   I'd be interested in a copy of the Delphix scripts if you can share them. 

"Upgrade" in the GUI is misleading as it just changes the Oracle Home.

Thanks!
    Lisa

Lisa Garczynski
    Database Engineer III
    Paychex

• 4.  RE: Oracle VDB Upgrade from 12c to 19c

Posted 11-27-2020 09:29:00 AM
    Hi Lisa,
    I think you will find the scripts here helpful. Diego has showcased some impressive automation in that collection of library items.

Thanks,
    Michael

Michael Torok
    Director of Knowledge and Community Management
    Delphix

• 5.  RE: Oracle VDB Upgrade from 12c to 19c

Posted 11-27-2020 09:52:00 AM
    Thank you

Lisa Garczynski
    Database Engineer III
    Paychex

• 6.  RE: Oracle VDB Upgrade from 12c to 19c

Posted 11-27-2020 09:47:00 AM
    Hi Liza,

You can also the tha same aproach with autoupgrade script from oracle

Find more here https://mikedietrichde.com/2019/04/29/the-new-autoupgrade-utility-in-oracle-19c/

Regards,

Mouhssine

Mouhssine SAIDI
    Community Member
    Delphix Community Members

• 7.  RE: Oracle VDB Upgrade from 12c to 19c

Posted 11-27-2020 09:52:00 AM
    Terrific!  Thank you!!

Lisa Garczynski