Delphix Products

View Only
  • 1.  ESX configuration for Delphix

Posted 10-09-2019 02:22:00 AM
    Hello,

Is there an ESX server configuration information or template that will run only Delphix? Would it be possible to run one or more Delphix Engines in one ESX server given that all the architecture best practices are taken into consideration?

Thanks a lot for your answers,

------------------------------
    Rahim Cetinel
    Solution Architect
    Accuras, Turkey

• 2.  RE: ESX configuration for Delphix

Posted 10-09-2019 02:36:00 AM
    Hi Rahim,

No, you don't need any custom ESX configuration.
    Yes, you can have more than one Delphix Engine on same ESX Host - all depends if you have physically sufficient amount of CPU and RAM.

Remember that according to Delphix recommendation, you should (not must, but should) have HT disabled in BIOS, and CPU and RAM should (not must, but should) be reserved on ESX level in VM configuration.

Regards
    Karol Kobus

Karol Kobus
    Consultant
    Spica Solutions

• 3.  RE: ESX configuration for Delphix
    Best Answer

Posted 10-09-2019 09:58:00 AM
    Thanks for your question (and response, Karol).  To expand on this, we do indicate in our product documentation that VMware memory and CPU reservations are required, and strongly recommended, respectively.

https://docs.delphix.com/docs/system-installation-configuration-and-management/installation-and-initial-configuration-requirements/virtual-machine-requirements-for-vmware-platform

As we are an IO platform, we are significantly impacted by any contention for resources, so reliable performance and response of the Delphix Engine cannot be expected if these documented requirements are not followed.  As was mentioned above, multiple Engines on an ESX server is fine as long as the resources are sufficient to accommodate.

Sean Nothdurft
    Delphix Support
    Delphix

• 4.  RE: ESX configuration for Delphix

Posted 10-09-2019 02:03:00 PM
    Hi everyone,

Thanks a lot for your responses. I am aware of Delphix' best practices documentation and I have used/and using it again and again.

But we don't have hardware configuration. And we might not need it in 9 out of 10 customers but when we receive a question for hardware specs from that 1 customer then it might be nice to have some pointers.

As for me, I am also having this conversation with other people and I am leaning towards creating ESX instances on small servers and running Delphix as the only host on them.

Rahim Cetinel
    Solution Architect
    Accuras, Turkey

• 5.  RE: ESX configuration for Delphix

Posted 10-15-2019 05:14:00 AM
    Hi Rahim,

If you're looking for some certified hardware configurations to run delphix, maybe the answer is called DRA (Delphix Reference Architecture ).

DRA is an official hardware configuration designed to run the Delphix solution, please refer to your presales/sales to know more about it.

Regards,

Mouhssine

Mouhssine SAIDI
    Community Member
    Delphix Community Members

• 6.  RE: ESX configuration for Delphix

Posted 10-16-2019 09:19:00 AM
    Hello Mouhssine,

Thanks for your answer. I would like to point out that DRA is mostly used for high performance alternative. What I am looking for is the smallest "if possible official" setup that can run 1 Delphix Engine.

In the end, my official answer was to go for a system with 128-256GB RAM and with 1 or 2 8-core CPUs.

BR,

Rahim Cetinel
    Solution Architect | Delphix Blackbelt
    Accuras, Turkey

• 7.  RE: ESX configuration for Delphix

Posted 10-16-2019 09:53:00 AM
    Rahim,

With newest version of Delphix you always need 2 engines (1st will be virtualization engine, 2nd will be masking engine), as with new version you can't have masking and virtualization on one engine.

All depends on load and performance that you will have. DRA is always the best way of sizing. But if its to high, then go from 4 vcores and 32gb ram per engine and scale up according to performance. Probably 8 vcores and 64gb ram per engine will be fine if you have balanced load over whole day instead of short high load windows.

Regards
    Karol Kobus

Karol Kobus
    Consultant
    Spica Solutions

• 8.  RE: ESX configuration for Delphix

Posted 10-18-2019 10:18:00 AM
    Hi Rahim

First of all, Karol is right latest version of delphix you will need to qualify 2 servers as delphix separates the virtualization and masking during the configuration step.

If you need is to qualify a machine for a POV/POC only you can use as baseline an engine with 8Vcpus / 128G RAM (256 will give your engine more cache).

In my advice, you have to request delphix's PS help to qualify the right server, as the configuration may vary according to many factors (DB size, the amount of change per hour/day, compression, encryption ...)

Hope this answer helps you see clear in it.

Regards,

Mouhssine

Mouhssine SAIDI
    Community Member
    Delphix Community Members