Delphix Products

View Only
  • 1.  Installing the lpar2rrd agent on Delphix-5.11 x86_64 VMware appliance?

Posted 07-04-2020 01:42:00 AM
      |   view attached
    Dear community,

We are currently testing Delphix-5.11 x86_64 VMware appliance and are very concerned that CPU load is almost __always__ 100% (see attachment). As a result, we have a very low overall performance of the application. So to find out the reasons for that in detail, we would like to install the lpar2rrd agent for Solaris x86 according to the detailed instruction 
    https://www.lpar2rrd.com/Solaris-sparc-x86-performance-monitoring-install.php?5.2#SOLARIS . Is it possible, for example using the default 'sysadmin' account? Or is it only possible to use the 'root' account?

I would be very grateful for your help.

Very thanks for the support.

------------------------------
    spezialist spezialist
    Delphix Community Members

• 2.  RE: Installing the lpar2rrd agent on Delphix-5.11 x86_64 VMware appliance?
    Best Answer

Posted 07-05-2020 01:39:00 AM
    Hello-

Thank you for your question.  To answer the concern about agent installation, as the Delphix Engine is an Appliance, there is no installation of additional software permitted on the platform.  

When there are concerns about the CPU utilization on an Engine, we generally recommend the onboard Performance Analytics be leveraged to review the CPU utilization from VM perspective.

https://docs.delphix.com/docs/configuration/performance-analytics-management/performance-analytics/performance-analytics-tool-overview

This tool will provide details on the VMs measured CPU utilization. Often, the VM measured utilization is not the the same as that observed from the hypervisor, and frequently the CPU will not be a point of constraint unless there is significant sustained throughput, or other constraints on the VM.

That said, often the perceived CPU utilization from hypervisor actually doesn't align with the utilization from VM perspective. We have a KB document that speak to this:

https://support.delphix.com/Delphix_Virtualization_Engine/Platforms/VMWare_and_Delphix_CPU_Utilization_Discrepancy_Explained_(KBA1019)

If there is any perceived issue believed to be related to CPU or other VM performance, and the recommended and required CPU and memory reservations are addressed:

https://docs.delphix.com/docs/deployment/deployment-for-vmware

It may be best to open a Support case for further investigation.  The performance of a VDB is a complex matter, as it also can be affected by network or other resource constraints, such as backing storage, and as such a thorough investigation by Delphix Support or Services is the ideal method to determine any opportunities for improvement.

As an aside, we also offer Splunk and SNMP integration options which can provide more granular metrics and reporting on the VM resources.
    https://docs.delphix.com/docs/configuration/monitoring-and-log-management/splunk-integration
    https://docs.delphix.com/docs/configuration/monitoring-and-log-management/configuring-snmp

I hope this addresses your concern; please let us know if you have any other questions or feedback.

Sean Nothdurft
    Senior Principal Technical Support Engineer
    Delphix

• 3.  RE: Installing the lpar2rrd agent on Delphix-5.11 x86_64 VMware appliance?

Posted 07-05-2020 05:58:00 AM
      |   view attached
    Dear @Sean Nothdurft,

Thank you very much for your detailed answer.

I am new to the field, so my questions are simple. This way, I will definitely check the parameters of our VMware VM Delphix_test. I will also look in the direction of SNMP monitoring, but I suspect that this is not what we need.

Concerning onboard Performance Analytics: I haven't seen it yet, but I have a question. I wanted to install the lpar2rrd agent to be able to analyze running CPU jobs, for example like this (see attachment). So I have a question: will onboard Performance Analytics be able to present monitoring details in a similar way?

spezialist spezialist

• 4.  RE: Installing the lpar2rrd agent on Delphix-5.11 x86_64 VMware appliance?

Posted 07-07-2020 02:55:00 PM
    Dear @Sean Nothdurft,

Yesterday I carefully checked the resources allocated to our VMware VM Delphix_test: they are really allocated according to the instruction https://docs.delphix.com/docs/deployment/deployment-for-vmware you mentioned.
    So this week I will try to use the onboard Performance Analytics that you mentioned. I hope that's what's needed.

spezialist spezialist

• 5.  RE: Installing the lpar2rrd agent on Delphix-5.11 x86_64 VMware appliance?

Posted 07-05-2020 05:52:00 AM

Hi,

Please note that it's the behaviour/architecture of Delphix that it will use the whole 8 vCPU its given. If you would check the Delphix best practices you would see that dedicated 8 vCPU and 128GB ram is strongly recommened.

For the performance I can assure you that you will be amazed when you see how performant Delphix gonna behave.

Please follow the best practices and don't worry too much. If possible provide Delphix its own VMWare. I once had a customer run Delphix on 10 year old IBM server with only 128GB ram and it provided miracles over there (then the put Delphix into a brand new server).

BR,

Rahim Cetinel

Solution Architect | Delphix Blackbelt

M:+905334112490  | Skype: rahim.cetinel

www.accuras.com

• 6.  RE: Installing the lpar2rrd agent on Delphix-5.11 x86_64 VMware appliance?

Posted 07-05-2020 06:06:00 AM
    Dear @Rahim Cetinel,

Thank you for your answer: tomorrow I will definitely check the parameters of our VMware VM Delphix_test to see if its allocated resources are correct.

From your answer:
    > Please note that it's the behaviour/architecture of Delphix that it will use the whole 8 vCPU its given.

That's understandable to me. But it should not cause a constant 100% load of all CPUs in the virtual machine (see my graph at the beginning of the post).

spezialist spezialist

• 7.  RE: Installing the lpar2rrd agent on Delphix-5.11 x86_64 VMware appliance?

Posted 07-08-2020 10:33:00 AM

Hello, 

Regarding the question

"will onboard Performance Analytics be able to present monitoring details in a similar way?"

No; as an appliance, the performance analytics does not explicitly expose the details for operating system processes used to service IO or provide virtualization job services.  We will expose general CPU usage, and that CPU utilization will be directly affected by IO demands on the Engine.  

I hope this addresses your concerns.

Sean Nothdurft
    Senior Principal Technical Support Engineer
    Delphix