Delphix Products

View Only
  • 1.  Automatic vFile / VDB provisioning

Posted 08-06-2020 07:52:00 AM
    Hi,

I'm a first timer/novice and I've got a generic question on the basic concept of Delphix.

Let's assume we have a data source A. We ingest that into the Delphix engine. Now the ingested data(dSource B) in the Delphix engine can be provisioned to a target environment as Vfiles/VDBs (data source C), thru VDB provisioning.

Now we do some changes to data source A. Based on the policy we set(Take snapshot for every 15 mins), automatic snapshots are taken and thus Delphix engine will have the latest version(data source B).

However, if the data source C in the target environment should also have the latest version, then it needs to be manually provisioned on a mount point of target env. Is there a way, by which it can be automatically provisioned and the same existing vFile getting refreshed OR should we write a customized EDSI plugin to achieve this automatic provisioning of data.

My need is the vFile should always have the latest version of data (same as that of original data source), because, from a developer/tester perspective, the front end application would get connected/configured to data source C. Thus they will always need the latest version of the data from the original source. 

Note : I'm using Unstructured Files for all these data sources.

------------------------------
    Muthiah M
    Community Member

• 2.  RE: Automatic vFile / VDB provisioning

Posted 08-19-2020 10:16:00 AM
    Edited by Adam Smith 08-20-2020 10:54:03 AM
    Hello Muthiah,

Thank you for contacting the community. 

There is an option within Delphix to set automatic refreshes of VDB's. A refresh will set the data in the VDB/Vfile to the most recent snapshot of the data source, you can think of it like a reprovision. A typical example would be a nightly refresh of VDB's/V files to the latest data source snapshot. This would mean the data in the VDB is always within a max of 24 hours of the data source. The refresh interval is customisable and could be every 15 minutes if required.

Please see: https://docs.delphix.com/docs/datasets/getting-started/managing-policies/policies-for-scheduled-jobs

Does this answer your question?

Thank you

Adam

Adam Smith
    Member of Technical Staff
    Delphix