Bohdan '-03-25-2019 07:42:00 AM

Bohdan

Bohdan '-03-25-2019 11:10:00 AM

• 1.  Skipping discovery for ASE dataserver with pid on host

Posted 03-22-2019 01:16:00 PM

• 2.  RE: Skipping discovery for ASE dataserver with pid on host

Posted 03-22-2019 01:26:00 PM
    Hello,

It sounds like the ASE instance does not have the "-s <database_server_name>" parameter. The automatic discovery process needs the "-s" parameter so that it can later run "isql -U xxx -P xxx -S abc" to connect to the ASE instance and run some queries against sysdatabases and syslisteners.

Without that parameter, it doesn't know the name of the ASE instance  associated with the "dataserver" process.

If you have ASE instances that are started without the "-s" command line parameter, you can add them to Delphix manually using the command line interface (CLI):
    https://docs.delphix.com/docs/reference/command-line-interface-guide/cli-cookbook-common-workflows-t...

I hope this helps.

Thanks,
      Neal

• 3.  RE: Skipping discovery for ASE dataserver with pid on host

Posted 03-22-2019 01:47:00 PM
    I looked Faulst and i found information about WARNING Message

<<Unable to execute '/var/opt/delphix/Toolkit/Delphix_COMMON_423d396a_2e8a_9c45_5f6a_b7858aa160f2_delphix_host/scripts/bin/dlpx_pfexec ps -Xeo user,pid,args' as user 'delphix_os' via sudo.>>

What is mean and how to solve it?

• 4.  RE: Skipping discovery for ASE dataserver with pid on host

Posted 03-22-2019 01:54:00 PM
    Hello,

Where are you seeing that? Are you seeing that in the debug logs?

I'm not sure it is impacting discovery of the ASE instances. It may try an to run the "ps" command via sudo first and if that fails, it falls back to trying to run it without sudo.

If you run "ps -ef | grep dataserver" do you see that your ASE instance is using the "-s servername" parameter? 

• 5.  RE: Skipping discovery for ASE dataserver with pid on host

Posted 03-25-2019 06:22:00 AM
    I see  WARNING Message  in the debug logs

I was run "ps -ef | grep dataserver".
    I got:
      sybase  7864430 11927586   0   Apr 04      - 10389:59 /opt/sybase/ASE157/ASE-1            5_0/bin/dataserver -d/opt/sybase/data/IB2/system/master.dat -e/opt/sybase/log/IB            2_DS.log -c/opt/sybase/ASE157/ASE-15_0/IB2.cfg -M/opt/sybase/ASE157/ASE-15_0 -sI            B2 -T7717

sybase 15139022 15073486   0   Sep 02      - 2544:14 /opt/sybase/ASE157/ASE-15            _0/bin/dataserver -d/opt/sybase/data/IB2ARCH/system/master.dat -e/opt/sybase/log            /IB2ARCH_DS.log -c/opt/sybase/ASE157/ASE-15_0/IB2ARCH.cfg -M/opt/sybase/ASE157/A            SE-15_0 -sIB2ARCH

It's ok?

• 6.  RE: Skipping discovery for ASE dataserver with pid on host

Posted 03-25-2019 07:42:00 AM
    i have new error.

• 7.  RE: Skipping discovery for ASE dataserver with pid on host

Posted 03-25-2019 08:26:00 AM
    I didn't find solution problem. It is not describe in instruction.

• 8.  RE: Skipping discovery for ASE dataserver with pid on host

Posted 03-25-2019 11:10:00 AM
    i solved it

• 9.  RE: Skipping discovery for ASE dataserver with pid on host

Posted 03-10-2020 02:01:00 PM
    Hi,

Can you please let me know how you solved this issue? As i am also facing exact same issue, i checked the interfaces file and it seems correct

------------------------------
    Abhinav Chandra
    Team Leader
    Accenture

• 10.  RE: Skipping discovery for ASE dataserver with pid on host

Posted 03-10-2020 02:09:00 PM
    Hi @Abhinav Chandra, did you see Neal's post below and the KB article? Did either help you?

Thanks,
    Michael

Michael Torok
    Director of Knowledge and Community Management
    Delphix

• 11.  RE: Skipping discovery for ASE dataserver with pid on host
    Best Answer

Posted 03-25-2019 12:43:00 PM
    Hello,

Here is how Delphix attempts to discover ASE instances:
    • Get the $SYBASE environment variable by looking for the environment variable in the user’s list of environment variables (the user as specified in the OS Username of the Add Environment dialogue). This must be defined for non-interactive logins. This can be tested by executing "ssh delphix_os_user@ase_host env | grep SYBASE".
    • Get the path to the isql binary looking under $SYBASE
    • List the running instances using ps (see get_ase_instances.sh for details).
      • In Delphix 4.3 and higher, the get_ase_instances.sh script is no longer run. Instead it uses the ProcessExplorer java class 
    • For each instance:
      • Get the list of ports by running isql and querying the syslisteners table (see get_ase_instance_ports.sh for details).
      • Connect via JDBC using the port retrieved from syslisteners and the host/IP entered in the environment definition screen. After successfully connecting, retrieve @@servername. Use the first port that works where @@servername is the same as the value from ps.
      • Using JDBC, populate page size, instance owner and other attributes for each instance.
      • Discover the list of user databases for each instance by querying sysdatabases (excluding the system databases 'master', 'model', 'sybsystemdb', ‘sybsystemprocs' and ‘tempdb').

So what those error messages are telling you is that Delphix is unable to connect to those ASE instances using "isql". Error 4002 is usually a username/password issue.

Note that since only a single $SYBASE environment variable is used, only that $SYBASE/interfaces file is used when connecting to each ASE instance. So if there are multiple ASE instances you wish to discover automatically, all of them need to be in the Delphix operating system user's $SYBASE/interfaces file.

• 12.  RE: Skipping discovery for ASE dataserver with pid on host

• 13.  RE: Skipping discovery for ASE dataserver with pid on host

Posted 03-10-2020 07:11:00 PM
    Hi Michael,

Yes i tried all the steps as per Neal's mail, also checked the KB

Abhinav Chandra
    Team Leader
    Accenture

• 14.  RE: Skipping discovery for ASE dataserver with pid on host

Posted 03-10-2020 08:11:00 PM
    Hello Abhinav,

Please raise a support ticket and upload a Delphix support bundle to our upload site ( https://upload.delphix.com ):
    https://support.delphix.com/Delphix_Virtualization_Engine/Delphix_Admin/Creating_and_Uploading_Support_Bundle_to_Delphix_(KBA1459)

We can't troubleshoot this type of issue without more detail.

Thanks,
      Neal

Neal Stack
    Senior Principal Technical Support Engineer
    Delphix