Delphix Products

Expand all | Collapse all

Failed to create data container

Adam Bowen

Adam Bowen03-27-2015 10:23:00 AMBest Answer

• 1.  Failed to create data container

Posted 03-13-2015 10:34:00 AM
    Hi all,

during the creation process of a new cointainer I received the following error:

Error:Failed to create data container "vDB1" because of an error creating the default branch for the data container.

Error Code:
    exception.jetstream.create.container.failed.default.branch

Suggested Action:
    Try again or contact the administrator.

Because I have retried the operation several times and I haven't got an administrator to contact to ;-), I'm asking you if there is something that I can do.

After the error I see that the Status of the VDB associated (I was intending to associate)  with the container is "FAILED".

Thank you in advance.
    Gianpiero
    #DemoEnvironment

• 2.  RE: Failed to create data container

Posted 03-13-2015 11:01:00 AM
    This is likely because Delphix was not able to create a snapshot of the VDB when it created it. Go into the Admin Portal and look at the VDB. Is there a snapshot timecard there? Can you post a screen shot of that and the back of the VDB card? (click the arrow on the vdb).

• 3.  RE: Failed to create data container

Posted 03-13-2015 01:21:00 PM
    Thank you for you reply. My Landshark is 1.5.5.
    I repeated the test: I created a new VDB again from ds of a Physical Oracle 10.2.0.2.0 DB.
    I ensured of the presence of the first snapshot of the VDB1. I took a second snapshot of the VDB1 (it was uncredibly fast! :-) and zero space consuming). Into the Jetstream Portal I created a new container, but few seconds after I received the error. See the screenshots in the attachments. Thank you. Now I'm going to repeat the test but I want to take a snapshot of the source first.

">https://d2r1vs3d9006ap.cloudfront.net/s3_images/1171424/RackMultipart20150313-6084-12801h-Container_Creation_inline.png?1426255163">

• 4.  RE: Failed to create data container

Posted 03-13-2015 03:54:00 PM
    Unfortunately the last test has failed even though I took a new snapshot of my dsource and then a new snapshot of my vDB before creating the container. However during the container creation process I saw other cards reporting other errors but I was not able to read into those windows because they appeared and disappeared too much fastly. Where can I read those errors? There is a place where I can get some sort of log files?

• 5.  RE: Failed to create data container

Posted 03-13-2015 06:12:00 PM
    As a test, can you please delete the VDB, and create a new one? Don't take any snapshots, it should create an initial one. Once the initial provision is done, add it to a jetstream container. Let me know the outcome of these steps, please.

• 6.  RE: Failed to create data container

Posted 03-14-2015 04:41:00 PM
    The first test I did was exactly executed as you describe. Unfortunately I received the same error.

• 7.  RE: Failed to create data container

Posted 03-17-2015 06:38:00 PM
    Gianpiero, can you look in the dashboard for the jog log of your VDB creation and see if any errors exist in the log?

• 8.  RE: Failed to create data container

Posted 03-17-2015 09:07:00 PM
    Great! I didn't know this function.
    Here is my log:

In particular, I found this error:

<<
    Unable to mount directory "/mount/delphix/VDB1". Cause: Unable to mount directory: ERROR_CODE=101
    ERROR : Mount directory "/mount/delphix/VDB1" could not be created by user "delphix_os"
    ERROR : Could not mount "172.16.180.3:/domain0/group-36/oracle_db_container-1897/oracle_timeflow-1922" at "/mount/delphix/VDB1"
    ERROR : Details : ls: cannot access /mount/delphix/VDB1: Stale file handle;Trying "mkdir" using dlpx_pfexec - mkdir: cannot create directory '/mount/delphix/VDB1': File exists;
    >>

If I list the /mount/delphix directory, really I can see a stale drectory:
    [root@localhost ~]# ls -la /mount/delphixls: cannot access /mount/delphix/VDB1: Stale file handle
    total 16
    drwxrwxr-x 5 delphix_os oinstall 4096 Mar 17 22:50 .
    drwxr-xr-x 5 delphix_os oinstall 4096 Feb 23 15:52 ..
    drwxr-xr-x 2 delphix_os oinstall 4096 Feb 12 13:01 delphix.test
    drwxr-xr-x 2 delphix_os oinstall 4096 Feb 18 19:13 temp_mntpnt.3071
    d????????? ? ?          ?           ?            ? VDB1

Why that directory is stale?

Thank you for your patience.
    Gianpiero

• 9.  RE: Failed to create data container

Posted 03-17-2015 09:19:00 PM
    OK, This is easy. The simplest explanation as to what caused this is that the Delphix Engine was rebooted, or suspended, while the VDB was enabled. But, here is the easy way for you to clear it up. Delete the VDB. Disable any other VDB's that are running on that same machine. Now, rebooting the machine is the easiest way to clear the stale mount. But you can alternatively just sudo umount -f /mount/delphix/VDB1.  You should also see no current NFS mounts, at this point. If all is clear, you can now enable your VDB's.

• 10.  RE: Failed to create data container

Posted 03-20-2015 07:53:00 AM
    Hi Adam,

I repeated your steps, but I have the same error: during the container creation process the directory becomes "stale" and Delphix cannot mount the remote NFS directory.

I confirm that the environment is on my laptop and so I shutdown the Engine, source and target every day without disabling any VDB.

I'm gonna delete the ds link and recreate new one.

Thank you for your support.
    Gianpiero

• 11.  RE: Failed to create data container

Posted 03-20-2015 08:50:00 AM
    After deleting the DS Link and re creating it from scratch, I created all necessary step, but I receive the same error:

Unable to mount directory "/mount/delphix/VDB1". Cause: Unable to mount directory: ERROR_CODE=101
    ERROR : Mount directory "/mount/delphix/VDB1" could not be created by user "delphix_os"
    ERROR : Could not mount "172.16.180.3:/domain0/group-36/oracle_db_container-1903/oracle_timeflow-1932" at "/mount/delphix/VDB1"
    ERROR : Details : ls: cannot access /mount/delphix/VDB1: Stale file handle;Trying "mkdir" using dlpx_pfexec - mkdir: cannot create directory '/mount/delphix/VDB1': File exists;

• 12.  RE: Failed to create data container

Posted 03-20-2015 10:01:00 AM
    Well, on the Target you are trying to provision to has a stale NFS mount for that directory. If you rebooted the Target machine, it would no longer present. What is the output of the mount command on that Target machine? Also, the output of fuser -m /mount/delphix/VDB1?

• 13.  RE: Failed to create data container

Posted 03-20-2015 11:56:00 AM
    I confirm that after reboot there aren't any stale directories. After this clean situation I did:
    1. Provision a new VDB -> successfull (the directory is mounted correctly)
    2. Create a new Container with the VDB.
    Just during the creation of the cointainer I get the error.
    Thank you

• 14.  RE: Failed to create data container

Posted 03-20-2015 06:42:00 PM
    Hmmm. So this only happens when you are creating a new container. Are you SSH'd or otherwise logged into the target server when you create the container? Something is holding that directory open. When you get the stale mount error message, do you see any files in the VDB1 directory? what does fuser -m /mount/delphix/VDB1 show?

• 15.  RE: Failed to create data container

Posted 03-27-2015 09:39:00 AM
    Hi Adam,

sorry for my late reply. I was busy this week. With the new LandShark 2.0, the problem doesn't appear again. I can create container as well.

Thank you for you support.
    Gianpiero

• 16.  RE: Failed to create data container
    Best Answer

Posted 03-27-2015 10:23:00 AM
    Fantastic. I am going to mark this as resolved.