Delphix Products

• 1.  Data Migration - Using delphix for a ETL project

Posted 01-10-2017 01:25:00 PM
    Hi community,
    A customer that has to start a migration project uses delphix to mantain his environments.
    now, starting to understand the tool to use, I would to know (I never have seen delphix how works) if it's possible to use delphix for the extraction part. 
    basically the idea is to create in a staging area the virtual copy of the production database and after another tool will read and trasform that data into the new data model.
    my doubt is about the performance. 
    how works the virtual DB ? is it possible to create index (or are inherited from source DB) ?
    thanks for the answer, and sorry for mi ignorance, but I just discovered the existence of delphix and really fascinate me!!!

• 2.  RE: Data Migration - Using delphix for a ETL project

Posted 01-10-2017 02:16:00 PM
    Hi Slivio, The performance question can be related to the underlaying infrastructure, you have to have the one that can allow you acheaving what is requested by you or your tool. Regarding the second question, keep in mind that a vdb is simillar to a classic database the only difference is that you will have all datafiles hosted on delphix and presented via a network protocol to your target servers. (similar to a NAS) So the database practice and tools still the same you can create/drop index, MViews, tablespaces .... Regards, Mouhssine

• 3.  RE: Data Migration - Using delphix for a ETL project

Posted 01-10-2017 02:20:00 PM
    Oh, very good! So I'm going to propose this solution! Thank you very much

• 4.  RE: Data Migration - Using delphix for a ETL project
    Best Answer

Posted 01-10-2017 03:10:00 PM
    Silvio, great question. Very much as Mouhssine said, A virtual database is functionally identical to a physical database. We don't do the ETL, but you can use any of your existing processes to perform the ETL. You can index the database, etc, just like you would a non-virtualized copy.