Delphix Products

• 1.  SQL DB extended properties

Posted 08-24-2017 08:36:00 AM
    Hi
    We use a number of extended properties to set various values which we use to check things like latest DB release number etc.
    However, I've noticed that when we create a VDB from a Dsource which has extended properties, the extended properties are removed and replaced with 3 delphix  extended properties.

Is there a way to be able to keep the extended properties that originally exist alongside the delphix ones?  This is currently hindering our process of creating VDBs and deploying updates to them based on what the last release was (which we get from the extended properties)

• 2.  RE: SQL DB extended properties

Posted 08-24-2017 09:23:00 AM
    Hi Mark,

Delphix does add a few properties to track source Engine details, but it should not be replacing anything, just adding to sys.extended_properties. Is this something that used to work for you, or has only recently been noticed?
    I think this needs investigating more, could you please raise a Support case and upload a new bundle, and I'll pick it up?

Best Regards,

Scott.

• 3.  RE: SQL DB extended properties

Posted 08-24-2017 09:26:00 AM
    Thanks Scott...that is what I expected (that delphix wouldn't remove them).  It's just something I noticed today...I'll investigate a bit more on my end and will raise a support ticket if needed.

• 4.  RE: SQL DB extended properties

Posted 08-24-2017 09:31:00 AM
    Fair enough Mark. I've been checking the code here, it's just a simple IF/THEN to test if a property already exists and then call either 'sys.sp_addextendedproperty' or 'sys.sp_updateextendedproperty' as appropriate, so I don't think it would remove anything existing.

• 5.  RE: SQL DB extended properties

Posted 08-24-2017 10:12:00 AM
    Hi Scott...apologies...it was my fault...the user was creating the DB from a snapshot before the extended properties were added!..please feel free to delete

• 6.  RE: SQL DB extended properties

Posted 08-24-2017 10:27:00 AM
    Hi Mark, no worries at all, glad you got to the bottom of it :-)