Delphix Products

• 1.  Best way to set environment variable ORACLE_SGA_PGSZ=16m

Posted 11-20-2014 08:27:00 AM
    We need to start an Oracle  VDB using Large pages.
    We used a template to modify the configuration of the VDB
    We tried to set
    ORACLE_SGA_PGSZ=16m
    in  delphix/.profile and in  /etc/environment.
    VDB starts but Large pages are not used when provisioning VDB from the GUI.
    If we shutdown immediate and restart the VDB with delphix user, Large pages are used.

Where is the best place to set ORACLE_SGA_PGSZ variable so it can be used by delphix user when Delphix engine  starts the VDB ?.

• 2.  RE: Best way to set environment variable ORACLE_SGA_PGSZ=16m

Posted 11-21-2014 08:02:00 PM
    Marie,

Currently there is no option available to pass on the environmental variables to the Delphix VDB startup scripts. As you discovered already, the workaround is to bounce the database again to start up with the environment variables needed. There is a Delphix product request for enhancement on this without needing the workaround described above. Please let us know if the workaround is ok for the time being or not.

Thanks,
    Phani

• 3.  RE: Best way to set environment variable ORACLE_SGA_PGSZ=16m

Posted 11-24-2014 09:04:00 AM
    Hi Phani,

Thanks for your answer.
    Maybe this workaround would be ok for my prospect but I would like to find a better one if I could.

If Delphix runs a non interactive shell, maybe can we try to set a BASH_ENV  that defines a file where we can set the environment variables we need.
    What do you think ?

Thanks,
    Marie

• 4.  RE: Best way to set environment variable ORACLE_SGA_PGSZ=16m
    Best Answer

Posted 11-24-2014 07:21:00 PM
    Marie,

Unfortunately, the only workaround at this time is to (re)start the database manually. The other workaround(using BASH_ENV) that you have mentioned will require changes on the Delphix side so that the scripts(non-interactive shell) used for starting the database will set the BASH_ENV variable. It is a possible solution for the Delphix enhancement that I had mentioned in the previous update. But there are ssh configurations where setting User level environment variables is prohibited over ssh and hence the above approach will not work there. Delphix Engineering is looking into a solution for this but there is no timeline yet on when this will be available though.

Hope that answers your question and please do not hesitate to get back to me if you need further clarifications.

Thanks,
    Phani

• 5.  RE: Best way to set environment variable ORACLE_SGA_PGSZ=16m

Posted 11-25-2014 07:49:00 AM
     Phani,
    It's very clear now.
    Thanks you for your answer.

Marie