Delphix Products

• 1.  Combining dSources and target servers in multiple Delphix engines

Posted 11-14-2016 09:12:00 AM
    Hi
    We are going to have 2 delphix engines in the near future...can we combine dSources and target servers between the 2 engines, or do they need to have completly seperate dSources and target servers?

eg 
    Our live DB, we would like to be available in both delphix engines, but only pulled once from production.
    Our target servers, we would like 1 target server to be able to host some dSources that are in engine 1 and also some dSources that are in engine 2

Thanks in advance

• 2.  RE: Combining dSources and target servers in multiple Delphix engines
    Best Answer

Posted 11-14-2016 09:22:00 AM
    Hi Mark,

You can replicate a dSource from one DE to another, but it would not be a 'live' copy like a standard dSource, for that then you would need to link (and pull updates) seperately. It would only be updated on the 'copy' DE each time a replication update gets run. You can have the same source on both DEs individually/normally, but both would pull updates from the source.

You can certainly use the same target server(s) with more than one DE though, many of our customers do this, you just need to keep an eye out not to overload the target server, with multiple engines creating DBs on there. 

Hope that helps,

Scott.

• 3.  RE: Combining dSources and target servers in multiple Delphix engines

Posted 11-14-2016 09:28:00 AM
    Thanks Scott...so the replicated dSource would just pull the changes from the dSource on the other engine?

• 4.  RE: Combining dSources and target servers in multiple Delphix engines
    Best Answer

Posted 11-14-2016 09:32:00 AM
    Yes, replication between DEs works like an incremental backup, so the replicated dSource copy will look like the original dSource did when the replication update last ran.

• 5.  RE: Combining dSources and target servers in multiple Delphix engines
    Best Answer

Posted 11-14-2016 09:42:00 AM
    Hi Mark,

Thank you for raising a question.

A dSource can be added to multiple Delphix engines. Also Target servers can be shared with various Delphix Engines.

Delphix Replication may be a solution to your example use case, please see the links below for more information.

Replication Overview:

https://docs.delphix.com/display/DOCS/Replication+Overview

An Introduction to Delphix Engine Replication Technology:

https://vimeo.com/81024361

If you have any further questions please let me know.

Adam.

• 6.  RE: Combining dSources and target servers in multiple Delphix engines

Posted 11-16-2016 03:52:00 PM
    Thanks for all the comments.

I'm trying to add a target server to a new engine.  This target already exists in another delphix engine.  I try and run addhostgui.exe on the target but it says delphix connector service is not running.  I try and start this but it immediately stops....the event log doesn't really say much apart from 

failed to kill process 400: System.ArgumentException: Process with an Id of 400 is not running.   at System.Diagnostics.Process.GetProcessById(Int32 processId, String machineName)
       at DelphixConnectorService.DelphixConnector.kill(Int32 pid)

Should the delphix connector start up and stay running?  should I create a support ticket?

• 7.  RE: Combining dSources and target servers in multiple Delphix engines

Posted 11-16-2016 06:19:00 PM
    separate question Please reference the new conversation here: Adding target server on new engine