Delphix Products

• 1.  MySQL Snapshots

Posted 02-02-2017 11:35:00 AM
    Hi everybody,I'm studying mysql virtualization. I understood why delphix needs staging mysql instance. However I'm wondering if it is strictly necessary take a new backup from physical instance when snapshot of the dSource is requested. Is it not enough taking a snapshot of the virtual datafile of the staging instance? Is it not enough the mysql replication process to guarantee the synchronization with the physical source?
    Thanks
    Best Regards. 
    #DemoEnvironment

• 2.  RE: MySQL Snapshots
    Best Answer

Posted 02-02-2017 04:26:00 PM
    Hi,

The backup is only used to initialize the staging server which is setup as a slave of the production MySQL Server. The staging server stays up to date with production using MySQL replication.
    Once the staging server is initialized, you can setup a SYNC policy, to generate subsequent snapshots, based on a schedule, which uses the staging server. No other backups are required, unless the staging server runs into errors or is not able to keep up with the production MySQL Server

I hope this helps, do let us know if you have more questions.

• 3.  RE: MySQL Snapshots

Posted 02-02-2017 04:34:00 PM
    Hi Ankur,
    thank you for your reply. The scenario you just described makes sense and it was what I expected. However when I take a snapshot on demand (clicking on the camera icon) on the dSource, Delphix asks me for making a new backup or choosing a ready pre-existent backup. I expected (as you expected) that the snapshot was simply a snapshot of the internal virtual datafiles of the staging server. So I posted this technical question.
    Thank you.
    Regrads.
    Gianpiero 

• 4.  RE: MySQL Snapshots

Posted 02-03-2017 08:09:00 PM
    Hi Gianpeiro,

That behavior is expected. Hitting the "camera" (snapshot) button manually is a "re-sync" in a sense, where it is used to re-initialize staging in case its not in a good state. Otherwise, setting up a sync policy would create the snapshot of the datafiles as you expect. Currently we don't support doing those snapshots on demand, only via the policy.

• 5.  RE: MySQL Snapshots

Posted 02-06-2017 08:24:00 AM
    I understand. Thank you.
    Gianpiero