Delphix Products

• 1.  Best Practices: dSource

Posted 12-05-2017 01:53:00 PM
    Hi,

Are there any type of best practices when it comes to creating and maintaining dSources? (Ex. should we unlink our dSource from time to time to reduce space consumption?) Our dSources seem to be steadily growing at a faster rate than we expected. I know we can reduce the retention rate and disable LogSync, but I wanted to see if there are any other steps we could take.

Thanks!
    Meagan
    #Virtualization

• 2.  RE: Best Practices: dSource
    Best Answer

Posted 12-05-2017 02:38:00 PM
    Hello Meagan,
                        Just a tip, we should also plan to refresh our Virtual databases provisioned from dSource in a timely manner, if possible.

The reason is, if VDB is not getting refreshed for a long time, parent snapshot of dSource will hold in time flow, even though retention policies are passed, as it shares the blocks.

If we have multiple VDBs provisioned from multiple Snapshots in time flow of dSource, then all parent snapshots will hold, causing the space consumption, until we do refresh with latest snapshots.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

• 3.  RE: Best Practices: dSource

Posted 12-11-2017 04:15:00 PM
    Hi,

Thanks for the info! Would unlinking and creating a new dSource of the same database also help with space consumption?

Thanks,
    Meagan

• 4.  RE: Best Practices: dSource

Posted 12-11-2017 05:46:00 PM
    Hello Meagan,
                          Unlinking will prevent the dSource from growing as it is no longer syncing with source database, but the current size of unlinked dSource will remain on Delphix storage. 

I believe unlinking and creating a new dSource will not help with space consumption. 

You can check the size of all Delphix objects under Resources --> Capacity.

The capacity page will give you detailed information on storage used by unlinked or linked dSources.

Thanks