Delphix Products

• 1.  Can I provision Oracle Database without starting it?

Posted 03-22-2016 09:53:00 AM
    Hello everybody,

is it possible to provision a VDB without starting it? I'd like to mount NFS only to watch inside directories and get the spfile. But even though I provision a VDB with the advanced option "Open database after provisioning" checked off, Delphix starts Oracle process anyway, resulting with provisioning failed and I can't read NFS directories.

Thank you.
    Gianpiero

• 2.  RE: Can I provision Oracle Database without starting it?

Posted 03-22-2016 10:03:00 AM
    Hi, To me the workaround could be a hook that stops the vdb once the provisioning finished Regards, Mouhssine

• 3.  RE: Can I provision Oracle Database without starting it?

Posted 03-22-2016 10:10:00 AM
    It would work fine, if my Oracle process didn't fail. The problem is that Delphix stops the entire process before that calls the hook script.

• 4.  RE: Can I provision Oracle Database without starting it?

Posted 03-22-2016 10:13:00 AM
    Hi, Sorry for the missleading. You have to let the checkbox "open database" checked. Regards, Mouhssine

• 5.  RE: Can I provision Oracle Database without starting it?

Posted 03-22-2016 10:37:00 AM
    No problem, for misleading, maybe it's due to my poor english.

If I leave the "open database" checked, the process fails and the NFS directories don't exist and so I can't get the spfile. 
    We're facing with some problem during the provision. So the oracle support guys of the customer is asking us the spfile, but if the NFS directories cannot be mounted, we can't get the spfile.

Regards.

• 6.  RE: Can I provision Oracle Database without starting it?

Posted 03-22-2016 10:44:00 AM
    An upgrade. I think that the spfile will be created after Oracle will have started. I guess that the spfile will be created from the pfile (init parameters). In fact in the first step of the provisioning wizard, in the advanced options, one can modify the init parameters. So the spfile will be created from the init parameters. And so we have to provide to oracle support guys the init parameters instead. What do you think?

• 7.  RE: Can I provision Oracle Database without starting it?

Posted 03-22-2016 10:49:00 AM
    Hi, Oh now i have the complete view, you can check please what problem is if you download the tar of engine logs. Did you run the hostcheker Mouhssine

• 8.  RE: Can I provision Oracle Database without starting it?

Posted 03-22-2016 10:56:00 AM
    We already studied the support logs. The problem seems to be Oracle related: ORA-600, no Delphix related. But the ORA-600 is too generic. So the customer asked the oracle support for an help. We delivered the alert logs. 

The ORA 600 is similar to HTTP status response 500: internal server error. It is like: "Houston, we have a problem", "Ok, what is the problem?", "We don't know!".

• 9.  RE: Can I provision Oracle Database without starting it?

Posted 03-22-2016 11:01:00 AM
    not sure i understood what you are doing there ?? Are you upgrading you existing pracle vdb ?? From what version to what ?? Mouhssine

• 10.  RE: Can I provision Oracle Database without starting it?

Posted 02-20-2019 06:34:00 PM
    It's really @Gianpiero? rss
    I don't believe