Delphix Products

• 1.  Let's talk about SNMP

Posted 07-03-2015 02:28:00 PM
    Hi folks,
    I configured at a customer site SNMP trap from delphix.
    as far as I see I have the possibility to choose just one severity, so I think that all the traps will be sent to SNMP consolle with that severity,always the same, am I correct?
    so, my question is: is there any way to have SNMP traps sent by delphix with different severities?
    thanxin advance,
    Fabio

• 2.  RE: Let's talk about SNMP

Posted 07-08-2015 10:48:00 AM
    Hey Fabio,

I am pretty sure that the level you choose corresponds to the event level that will generate the SNMP messages, not the level at which all events will log. ie. Informational will also send Warning and Critical traps. 

• 3.  RE: Let's talk about SNMP

Posted 07-08-2015 11:21:00 AM
    Hallo Adam,
    I'm not quite sure I understood your answer, did you mean the severity we choose in delphix config pane is the less to have an event fired to the monitoring consolle?

the fact is that when I configured SNMP trap at I customer site, I choosed a severity andI guessed it was the severity for any trap as I couldn't choose different severitiies for different events...

could u - or enyone else - please explain with more details how SNMP trap sendin delphix engine?

thanksa lot.
    F

• 4.  RE: Let's talk about SNMP
    Best Answer

Posted 07-08-2015 11:53:00 AM
    Sure. There are three logging levels for traps in Delphix: Critical, Warning, and Informational. Each SNMP trap that Delphix can send falls into one of these three categories. If you configure Delphix with an SNMP severity level of Critical, Delphix will only send out traps for events labeled as Critical. If you configure the SNMP severity level of Warning, Delphix will send out traps for events labeled as Critical and Warning. Setting the SNMP severity level as Informational sends outs traps for all three groupings from Delphix. This model it typical of most severity-based systems (i.e. log4j, etc.)

You cannot change the behavior of Delphix in regards to what it determines is a critical event vs. informational. If someone wanted to change the severity of a trap (i.e. provisioning a new vdb should be a critical event), then they would need to do so in an event management software that receives the original trap from Delphix and then uses logic to log a critical event in a monitoring system or forward a new trap based on that logic. This is the common case across enterprise software, as I used to work for a company that had a product that performed this very action.

I hope this helps.

• 5.  RE: Let's talk about SNMP

Posted 07-08-2015 01:27:00 PM
    Adam, thanks, now every makes sense to me...
    I was used to work with IBM Tivoli in the past but never worked with SNMP traps (Netview and/or Openview) personally so I understand perfectly what you say concerning catching an event, parsing it and forward to a event consolle with a desired severity...

thanks a lot.