Delphix Products

• 1.  Capturing data model changes

Posted 02-14-2018 10:03:00 AM
    While i understand that refreshing the ruleset will update the inventory with the updated data model from the vDB, what happens when a new table is added. Will it get added to the inventory ? I assume it won't. In that scenario, is there an option available with Delphix that provides the delta report capturing all the data model changes for the vDB being connected to ?
    #Masking

• 2.  RE: Capturing data model changes

Posted 02-14-2018 10:11:00 AM
    Hi Mayank,
    I don't think that there is a such features, but I'd wait for an official reply from Delphix. However what I'd suggest you is to enter in "Edit ruleset" from the ruleset list and then, in the new page, click again the "Edit Ruleset" button in the top toolbar and then wait for the list of tables will be refreshed: select the "Select all" checkbox and save the selected tables. DO NOT save the selected table when a filtering of table is active: you can risk to deselect all other tables not listed.
    While this operation is very easy, the very big problem is updating the inventory with the domains/algo association. You could use the profiling job to re-discover new sensitive columns or you should have a deep knowledge of the changes of your schema.

Regards.
    Gianpiero

• 3.  RE: Capturing data model changes

Posted 02-14-2018 10:16:00 AM
    Thanks for the reply. I understand, but while the operation is simple with a bit of careful processing, in our scenario we have frequent data model changes and very stringent data privacy guidelines, so it would really be great if there would be a way to capture the data model changes, that would save a lot of manual effort to identify the changes and handle them accordingly.

• 4.  RE: Capturing data model changes

Posted 02-14-2018 08:43:00 PM

Hello Mayank, there is no automated method to add new tables to a rule set as Gianpierro mentions below.  As you can imagine there is no way to know which ruleset a user would want to add the new table to.  The manual process is as described, edit the ruleset to which you want to add the new table to display all tables available to the connector and check the box next to the table to be added.  The new table will then appear in the inventory for that rule set.  You can then rerun the profiler or manually select domains/algorithms for sensitive columns.  Best practices suggest that the SDLC process which controls changes to the schema include masking in the workflow.

• 5.  RE: Capturing data model changes

Posted 02-15-2018 10:02:00 AM
    Thanks Robert, I understand that adding new tables automatically to a rule set is not a valid business case anyways. My question was more directed towards trying to understand if Delphix can compare the existing inventory with the structure of refreshed vDB and thereby show via a report what are the changes to data model that have taken place. I know this functionality is not present as of today, and using some sort of custom coding anyone can automate the comparison and reporting, but thought it would be great if Delphix could offer this in near future. This will really help in situations in which we have frequently changing landscapes.