Delphix Products

• 1.  Replication between multiple VDBs of single DSource.

Posted 03-22-2015 01:31:00 PM
    Can we setup streams or GG replication between VDBs which are created out of same DSource. This could be useful option in case lower environment doesn't simulate exact production design. VDBs can be used for testing and certifying application releases or even testing replication software releases.

• 2.  RE: Replication between multiple VDBs of single DSource.
    Best Answer

Posted 03-23-2015 03:27:00 PM
    Asif,

I'm not sure I entirely understand the specific use-case you describe, but there is no problem setting up Oracle Streams or Oracle GG replication between VDBs.  The need to test replication solutions, along with all functionality, is not affected by the "virtual-ness" of a VDB.

VDBs are independent Oracle databases and instances with their own DBID, GLOBAL_NAMES, and other attributes important to any replication solution.  The only difference between a VDB and a "physical" database outside the influence of Delphix is that the storage of a VDB is actually located on the Delphix appliance using NFS, so only issues related to the storage of datafiles, tempfiles, controlfiles, online redo logfiles, archived redo logfiles, and such are affected.

Hope this helps!

-Tim Gorman

• 3.  RE: Replication between multiple VDBs of single DSource.

Posted 03-23-2015 03:32:00 PM
    I'll answer from a slightly different perspective which may add some flavor -- in general you can setup anything to a virtual DB which you would to a normal/physical DB. However, you may want to consider the reasons causing you to do so, because there are tools and hooks available within the Delphix environment which may meet your needs already. I'll mention some: First, you could provision another virtual DB from your existing virtual DB. If you don't need real-time replication, this method combined with manual or timed refreshes could meet your need and ease your DB administration workload. Second, there are also automation hooks available which can be run whenever you refresh a DB. Third, you could consider Delphix application based site replication which could be used both for DR as well as other purposes. 

• 4.  RE: Replication between multiple VDBs of single DSource.

Posted 03-24-2015 04:58:00 AM
    Thanks Tim, I would definitely like to try replication solutions when I get a chance to work hands on. I guess we can leverage this capabilities in lower environments which do not simulate exact production setup.

Thanks Joel for additional details, I would definitely like to know more about those readily available tools and hooks.