Delphix Products

• 1.  V2P physical instance

Posted 06-26-2018 10:43:00 AM
    Hi 

If anyone can help me on the v2p query:
    I have ran a V2P job for oracle vdb. I am able to see the new instance running in target server using lsnrctl status command. Is it possible to see this new physical instance in delphix GUI now ? 

• 2.  RE: V2P physical instance

Posted 06-26-2018 10:48:00 AM
    Hi Jayanthi,

If the question is how to like the new physical db after the V2P ope ration.

You have just to go to the envirnoment > database and look for your physical database name and link it. Please minde that you have 2 choices add manually a database or get it discoverd automatically by delphix (for that you have to refresh you envirnoment before doing link operation).

Regards,

Mouhssine

• 3.  RE: V2P physical instance

Posted 06-26-2018 10:51:00 AM
    Hi Jayanthi,

Once you have exported a VDB to a physical database via a V2P operation, you will not see the physical DB in the Delphix GUI at all. By definition, it is not managed by Delphix, it's a standalone separate database.

Best Regards,

Scott.

• 4.  RE: V2P physical instance

Posted 06-26-2018 11:16:00 AM

Thank Scott& Mouhssine for your views. Basically I want to ensure if the V2P is success or not. For that I want to view new instance in Delphix by adding 'New database under environment-databases.Is it possible to do this ?

• 5.  RE: V2P physical instance

Posted 06-26-2018 02:00:00 PM
    Hi Jayanthi, 
    I think you'll find what you are looking for here: https://docs.delphix.com/docs/delphix-administration/oracle-environments-and-data-sources/managing-o...

This provides the steps to add a database.

Hope that helps,
    Michael

• 6.  RE: V2P physical instance
    Best Answer

Posted 06-26-2018 02:39:00 PM
    Hi Jayanthi,

If you can see the instance running, the Delphix V2P job has completed, and you can connect in using sqlplus (or similar), then it was successful.

Adding it back into Delphix is not really needed here, but if you really wanted to, you could do that by adding the environment/host in Delphix, which should find the DB during the discovery phase.

If the server that you have exported to using V2P is already defined in Delphix (i.e. an existing remote host), then refreshing the environment in the GUI should re-run Discovery and find the physcial DB as well.

Best Regards,

Scott.

• 7.  RE: V2P physical instance

Posted 06-27-2018 04:14:00 AM

Yes Scott. This is what I have actually tried already. Refreshing the env which is already configured in Delphix does not show this automatically. Hence I tried to add the database manually, which gave error while trying to connect with the new db and it displayed Vdb image yday. When  I check the status today, its showing db image and could not see the erro message. I guess it gets connected today. Checking to ensure if V2P is success or not.

• 8.  RE: V2P physical instance
    Best Answer

Posted 06-27-2018 03:22:00 PM
    Hi Jayanthi-

After V2P operations, Delphix is generally not the tool used to validate the copy process or management of the database after operation is complete. You can and should use normal RDBMS management tools (TOAD, etc) to interrogate the instance and ensure the DB is running as expected; as the physical copy process completes, the DB is no longer managed by Delphix.  

You may end up chasing other Environment refresh issues if Delphix doesn't "detect" the DB, but this doesn't really provide complete insight as to whether the DB instance is running as expected.