Delphix Products

Expand all | Collapse all
  • 1.  Exadata

Posted 09-24-2014 12:57:00 AM
    If source platform is Exadata, target should be Exadata ?
    If use other x86 server for the target system,
    then could not apply the patch to target system?
    #Virtualization
    #Tip

• 2.  RE: Exadata

Posted 09-24-2014 04:38:00 AM
    Heungjae,

Exadata can be considered just a large x86 Linux system. A standalone or virtual x86 Linux system is equivalent for Oracle purposes, so you should be able to provision from Exadata source to any x86 Linux target. I'm not sure what patch you refer to, though. If you could give us some detail about that question, we could provide a complete answer.

Michael

• 3.  RE: Exadata

Posted 09-24-2014 04:59:00 AM
    Thanks for your reply.
    I could provision VDB on x86 system from Exadata, then could I also apply the exadata's patch to VDB on x86 system for A/B testing ? 

• 4.  RE: Exadata

Posted 09-24-2014 02:04:00 PM
    To answer that question, we would need to know exactly which patch you are referring to. In general, Oracle patch questions should be directed to Oracle, but we'll be happy to check for you.

• 5.  RE: Exadata

Posted 09-25-2014 11:56:00 PM
    Ok, I see. Thanks.

• 6.  RE: Exadata

Posted 09-27-2014 10:54:00 AM
    A key feature of EXADATA is Hybrid Columnar Compression (HCC).
    Provisioning from Exadata source to a not-EXADATA x86 Linux target. Is the VDB able to handle HCC compressed data? How is it possible ?

• 7.  RE: Exadata

Posted 09-29-2014 05:50:00 AM
    Some SAP bundle patch for Exadata (SBP name SXD_112035_201304) needed to be installed with Exadata bundle patch 14. In this case, could not apply the patch to x86 server.

• 8.  RE: Exadata

Posted 10-02-2014 03:33:00 AM
    Regarding HCC, there is an Oracle requirement that HCC data reside on Oracle-branded storage. The Oracle processes actually check what storage hardware the data resides on and will not service HCC data if not on Oracle storage, and the Delphix Engine is, ultimately, a storage device. Unfortunately, at this time we can't support HCC because of this. We do fully support Exadata as long as HCC is not in play.

• 9.  RE: Exadata

Posted 04-28-2016 05:14:00 PM
    Reopening this old thread :)
    @Michael Brown
    Is this still correct to say that Delphix vDB cannot be created if HCC is applied on Source Oracle DB ?

• 10.  RE: Exadata

Posted 05-03-2016 04:14:00 PM
    Hi, Difenetly not. HCC is something that oracle locked only on its own storage products (exadata, pillar, zs). But you can still use Delphix with non of those storage appliances, the key point is just to uncompress the hcc tables using a hook at vdb configuration. Or you can have one of those storages as a backend for Delphix and nothing should be done you can query the hcc tables Mouhssine

• 11.  RE: Exadata
    Best Answer

Posted 05-04-2016 04:20:00 PM
    I'm having trouble reading some of the earlier responses in this thread, with black backgrounds and gray text font, so at the risk of repeating some responses, I'm going to offer the following...

Typically for Exadata sources, Delphix uses either one (or more) of the Exadata compute nodes as target servers, or else completely separate Linux x86-64 servers as target servers.

Regardless of what server is used for compute, Delphix VDBs can be provisioned to these target servers from Exadata sources, whether HCC is in use or not.

HCC is usable only on Oracle-branded storage (i.e. Exa, ZFSSA, Pillar), so HCC tables are unreadable within Delphix VDBs unless appropriate "ALTER TABLE ... MOVE ..." commands are configured to rebuild the HCC tables (usually as COMPRESS BASIC) using Delphix "configure clone" hooks.

As for HJ's original question, applying patches to the target VDB system should be considered very carefully.  Exadata patches are often comprehensive bundled patches, so they may include changes for storage nodes, compute nodes, and database.

If you are testing a database-only patch, then no problems; the patch will affect only the Delphix VDB.

If the patch is more comprehensive and bundled, and hits more than just database, then please exercise caution.  Delphix can virtualize binaries and other file-systems as well as databases, allowing testing of patches to the RDBMS binaries, but comprehensive Exadata bundle patches might go beyond that and update the OS or firmware on the compute node, which Delphix can not and does not virtualize.

Hope this helps...

• 12.  RE: Exadata

Posted 07-11-2017 05:10:00 PM

Tim,

Thanks for the explanation.

I have one query with respect to the HCC tables in DSource.

Will there be any licensing factor if the HCC tables are present in the Dsource(Gold Copy).

When a VDB is created we are disabling the compression with the help of hooks, so we are good there.

Just wanted to get clarify on the DSource part. 

Regards,

Giri