Delphix Products

Expand all | Collapse all

When provisioning a RAC VDB, how do I specify which instance numbers go to various nodes?

• 1.  When provisioning a RAC VDB, how do I specify which instance numbers go to various nodes?

Posted 06-03-2015 05:22:00 PM
    Sometimes when I provision, instance 1 goes to node 1, which is great.  Sometimes though, it goes to node 2!  I can't find a way to specify what I want.

• 2.  RE: When provisioning a RAC VDB, how do I specify which instance numbers go to various nodes?
    Best Answer

Posted 06-03-2015 05:30:00 PM

Just to make sure we are on the same page: when you provision a VDB in a Delphix RAC cluster, Delphix will assign a random instance number to each node. This can create scenarios where in node 1 we have instance number 8 running, etc…

In the future release, this will be manageable through GUI. At this moment, we can only do it from CLI. 

Using one of our RAC labs I did some testing and we can provision the VDB with the proper name, in the proper node, with CLI.

NOTE: this lab was performed on a 2 node cluster.  

First Example: provision a RAC VDB (TEST1 instance running in rac1 node, TEST2 instance Running in rac2) from a SNC= 42601222. dSource name is "orcl". This is the script we ran 

database

provision

defaults

set container=orcl  —> Here we define the dSource from we will create the VDB

set type=TimeflowPointLocation

set timeflow=default

set location=42601222  —> Here we define the SCN that we want our VDB to be in during provisioning

commit

set container.name=TEST  —> Here we define container Name

set container.group=Untitled

set sourceConfig.databaseName=TEST  —> Here we define Database Name

set sourceConfig.uniqueName=TEST  —> Here we define Database Unique Name

edit sourceConfig

set instances[0].instanceName=TEST1 —> on this line and the following, we make sure that instance name and node number are the same

set instances[0].instanceNumber=1

set instances[0].node=rac1

set instances[1].instanceName=TEST2

set instances[1].instanceNumber=2

set instances[1].node=rac2

commit

Running this script, we will provision a VDB on both nodes of the cluster with the proper instance name in each one.

Second Example We provision a RAC VDB only on one node, but with the proper instance name. On this one we will be provisioning the database in the second node of the cluster.

This will be the script:

provision

defaults

set container=orcl

set type=TimeflowPointLocation

set timeflow=default

set location=42601222

commit

set container.name=TEST

set container.group=Untitled

set sourceConfig.databaseName=TEST

set sourceConfig.uniqueName=TEST