APIPythonOpen-Source Solutions

Expand all | Collapse all

I am a java developer.I am very new to Delphix.How can i use Delphix with Java WebApplication

• 1.  I am a java developer.I am very new to Delphix.How can i use Delphix with Java WebApplication

Posted 03-12-2016 12:46:00 PM
    I am a Java Developer and very to new Delphix.From where can I start learning Delphix.
    Also How can I  Integrate Delphix with java Web Application.
    #Masking
    #DemoEnvironment
    #Reporting
    #OracleEBS
    #Tip

• 2.  RE: I am a java developer.I am very new to Delphix.How can i use Delphix with Java WebApplication
    Best Answer

Posted 03-12-2016 01:06:00 PM
    Hey Gundamaiah,
    I suggest you first get started with Landshark as a place to get started and learn about Delphix. If you don't already have access, please go to www.delphix.com and click Free Trial. By Monday, you should receive an email with links to documentation and downloads.

In short, here is what you would do to virtualize your java app:
    1. Add an environment to Delphix ,that is hosting the java application your are developing
    2. Tell Delphix what directory on that server contains the application you are developing.
    3. Add that as a source to Delphix, delphix will then copy the application directory (and its children) into Delphix
    4. Tell Delphix where to deploy virtual copies of the application.
    The overall process is very similar to the one I highlight in my blog for SugarCRM. It would be another great place to start:
    http://www.therealcloudsurgeon.com/2015/09/bringing-data-agility-to-docker.html">http://www.therealcloudsurgeon.com/2015/09/bringing-data-agility-to-docker.html">http://www.therealcloudsurgeon.com/2015/09/bringing-data-agility-to-docker.html

Welcome to the Delphix community!

• 3.  RE: I am a java developer.I am very new to Delphix.How can i use Delphix with Java WebApplication

Posted 03-12-2016 01:14:00 PM
    Thanks Bowen.My application need to interact with VDB's that are created by Delphix for Data Refresh.

• 4.  RE: I am a java developer.I am very new to Delphix.How can i use Delphix with Java WebApplication

Posted 03-12-2016 01:33:00 PM
    Oh! even easier. VDB's behave just as normal databases. Your java app would connect to a VDB via jdbc string, or whatever you normally use.

• 5.  RE: I am a java developer.I am very new to Delphix.How can i use Delphix with Java WebApplication
    Best Answer

Posted 03-12-2016 09:53:00 PM
    Hi Gundamaiah,

I am java developer too. 
    Delphix can help many key roles: Developers, Devops, IT Staff, Testers, Certifiers, Trainer, Data security team, data protection team and so on...

To understand how Delphix can help all this roles, you should read use cases for different kinds of context and you can find them in the Delphix Site (This old link is only an example https://docs.delphix.com/display/DOCS31/Use+Cases but there are a lot of new use cases you can find if you read the Delphix site, or interesting posts on Delphix commnity, e.g. read the interesting response to the question/post https://community.delphix.com/delphix/topics/how-does-delphix-help-oracle-upgrade-process).

First hint: What does Delphix do?
    Delphix enables Oracle, SQL Server, PostgreSQL, SAP ASE, MySQL customers to clone their databases in minutes for almost no storage. (Read for example http://blog.delphix.com/kyle/2014/delphix/)

As developer, you know, how many times did we want a copy of a huge volume database to test our software component on real data? We had to face with a lot of problems: involving and facing IT Staff, there was not enough of space to host Terabytes for a new copy of DB, problem on managing sensible and personal data (Delphix offers its Datamask Services), ...

With Delphix a developer can manage in self service, data as service (with few clicks into a web console) his copy of the Production Database.

A copy of tens TB of an Oracle DB can be made in few minutes and without extra space.
    You can reiterate test cycles easier and faster, reducing the idle time of the DB reset (at the end of a destructive test) from hours to minutes (see http://www.delphix.com/solutions/test-data-management/ ).

You can share a bookmark (a copy of your VDB) to other teams (such as a test team) to make them to test what you coded.

Another example: when I was taking care of bug fixing on production application, I would have needed a copy of the production database to replicate the incident: in my case it was impossible to request to a IT Staff to make a copy of the production DB in the SLA times. So if I was lucky I was able to reproduce the incident in my test DB (a subset and no fresh copy of the production DB), But in other cases I would have wanted to access (in readonly) to a production database to replicate the incident with my application: nobody helped me to add a firewall exception to do this. In all this cases Delphix can Help you, giving you the button to do a "refresh" of you VDB copying the fresh data from the production DB (in few minutes).

This is only the tip of a great iceberg: only for trying to fire up your curiosity. But tell me what you want to achieve and what are your pain points in developing application and I try to give you some hints on how Delphix can help and if it can.

And, a surprise for us developers, here is the RESTful API link to interact with the Delphix Engine:
    https://docs.delphix.com/display/DOCS50/Web+Service+API+Guide
    So, for example, you can automate you test cycles: do test, collect results, rewind your DB.

Regards.
    Gianpiero

• 6.  RE: I am a java developer.I am very new to Delphix.How can i use Delphix with Java WebApplication

Posted 03-14-2016 10:47:00 AM
    I am new webservices too.Need to check how can invoke the service from Delphix for Data Refresh from my application.

• 7.  RE: I am a java developer.I am very new to Delphix.How can i use Delphix with Java WebApplication

Posted 03-14-2016 10:47:00 AM
    I am new webservices too.Need to check how can invoke the service from Delphix for Data Refresh from my application.

• 8.  RE: I am a java developer.I am very new to Delphix.How can i use Delphix with Java WebApplication

• 9.  RE: I am a java developer.I am very new to Delphix.How can i use Delphix with Java WebApplication

Posted 04-05-2016 05:54:00 AM
    Gianpiero ,

Does Delphix support REWIND APi ? I If 'NO' how to over come this ? Need urgent inputs please..

• 10.  RE: I am a java developer.I am very new to Delphix.How can i use Delphix with Java WebApplication

Posted 04-05-2016 06:52:00 AM
    Hi K J M,

in general, what you can do via web GUI console is what you can do via REST API. And what you can't do via GUI console, maybe you could do via REST API ;-)

So, thanks to the above rule, the rewind operation is of course in the REST API.

The rewind operation is called "rollback". You can see the web api docs through your Delphix Engine: http(s)://[ip_address]/api

There you'll find the docs for the rollback operation under database, object operations

Anyway, I'd post you an example on my test environment:
    === POST /resources/json/delphix/database/ORACLE_DB_CONTAINER-5/rollback ==={
        "type": "OracleRollbackParameters",
        "timeflowPointParameters": {
            "type": "TimeflowPointSemantic",
            "container": "ORACLE_DB_CONTAINER-5",
            "location": "LATEST_SNAPSHOT"
        }
    }

As you can see, the timeflowPointParameters in the body message is the same you have to use with refresh operation.

Regards.
    Gianpiero

• 11.  RE: I am a java developer.I am very new to Delphix.How can i use Delphix with Java WebApplication

Posted 04-09-2016 08:18:00 AM
    How to create a VDB via REST API. do i need to create a template and container before creating vDB via REST API

• 12.  RE: I am a java developer.I am very new to Delphix.How can i use Delphix with Java WebApplication

Posted 04-09-2016 10:25:00 AM
    Diffferent Question Please reference the new conversation here: Can you please provide an example of how to create a VDB via a REST Call?

• 13.  RE: I am a java developer.I am very new to Delphix.How can i use Delphix with Java WebApplication

Posted 05-23-2019 05:13:00 AM
    How this functions in UAT, lets say if two people want to use their own sanpshot, now UAT app is one and cant connect to two different VDB sanpshot then how will this work?

• 14.  RE: I am a java developer.I am very new to Delphix.How can i use Delphix with Java WebApplication
    Best Answer

Posted 05-23-2019 08:43:00 AM
    Hi Manikesh,

If you have only one app server, you will have to deal with connexion changes to point out to the good vdb but only one connexion can be up at a given time, not both.

Regards,

Mouhssine

• 15.  RE: I am a java developer.I am very new to Delphix.How can i use Delphix with Java WebApplication

Posted 05-23-2019 05:02:00 PM
    I was talking to one of Delphix sales executive and he mentioned , we dont have to change the connection string of DB, it will remain same.. As per him you connect to same DB using same connection string and Delphix will intercept the request and DB operation will happen on Delphix storage rather DB storge.

• 16.  RE: I am a java developer.I am very new to Delphix.How can i use Delphix with Java WebApplication

Posted 05-23-2019 05:09:00 PM
    Thanks much, even if I have multiple app servers but we cant run different versions of  app instances with different connection string.. but somehow it be managed.. 
    I heard delphix can even visualize the application as well? if I have an UI app which is running on apache server  and if we share root folder of apache will it visualize it too and app will function exactly same?

• 17.  RE: I am a java developer.I am very new to Delphix.How can i use Delphix with Java WebApplication
    Best Answer

Posted 05-23-2019 05:10:00 PM
    Hello Manikesh-

That statement is not completely accurate.  In the process of Delphix VDB provision, a virtual database is started on a target environment; it can be a distinct copy of production DB, but would be its own database, with distinct DB name, SID, and JDBC connection string. Delphix does not "intercept" communication with an existing database and redirect, in the manner you indicated.  We create a virtual copy of the existing database which can be made available on a target host, at which point your application developers, DBAs, etc, can connect and manipulate as needed, while being independent of the source database.  That VDB storage is provided by Delphix.

The following Webinar series may be of use:
    https://www.delphix.com/data-platform-series

• 18.  RE: I am a java developer.I am very new to Delphix.How can i use Delphix with Java WebApplication

Posted 05-27-2019 02:47:00 AM
    Thank you so much.. this indeed was very helpful and sorted out many things.. above statement was the originater of all my question as how one can connect without changing connection string.. I will surely pass on to your sales executive when we speak next. may be I misunderstood.. 

• 19.  RE: I am a java developer.I am very new to Delphix.How can i use Delphix with Java WebApplication
    Best Answer

Posted 05-27-2019 07:42:00 AM
    Hi Manikesh,

Indeed you can virtualize the Apache application as a virtual datafile folder, and make n copies of it.

You have two options for that :

1/ Link the root folder of your apache and deal with configuration during virtualization using hooks

or the best one

2/ Develop a toolkit that will be integrated with your delphix engines and takes care of all of the configuration/management operations of your virtual folder.
    you can refer to this documentation for more informations on this solution

https://docs.delphix.com/docs/delphix-administration/unstructured-files-and-app-data/data-management-toolkits-an-overview/design-build-and-install-a-toolkit

I will be working on this may be next week.

Regards,

Mouhssine