APIPythonOpen-Source Solutions

• 1.  Best practices for shutting down the Delphix Engine

Posted 03-21-2014 03:24:00 PM
    If we have to perform maintenance on the ESX host that the Delphix Engine is running on, what are the best practices for shutting down the Delphix Engine?
    #best_practice
    #esx

• 2.  RE: Best practices for shutting down the Delphix Engine
    Best Answer

Posted 03-21-2014 03:55:00 PM
    Excellent question. We're glad you asked!

Because the Delphix Engine provides storage to your target environments, for VDBs and staging databases, it is important not to shut it down without gracefully shutting down the databases that depend on it. Failure to do so will result in NFS or iSCSI I/O errors on the target environments.

Prior to shutting down the Delphix Engine, all VDBs should be shut down through the Delphix UI (via GUI, CLI, or Web Services APIs). In addition, all staging databases should be disabled. This includes all SQL Server dSources, and any Oracle dSources for which pre-provisioning is enabled. 

To shut down the Delphix Engine, log in to the Server Setup UI as sysadmin and click the "Shutdown Delphix Engine" link, then the "Power Off" button. Or, log onto the CLI as sysadmin@SYSTEM, and enter "/system/shutdown" followed by "commit". If no one is available to log on as sysadmin, it is also acceptable to use the "Shutdown Guest" function from within VMWare, which will cause an orderly shutdown of the Delphix Engine. Avoid using the "Power Off Guest" function without first shutting down the Delphix Engine, however!

• 3.  RE: Best practices for shutting down the Delphix Engine

Posted 03-21-2014 04:18:00 PM
    Thanks Michael.  I am glad I asked too!  
    Appreciate the quick response.
    Have a great day!

• 4.  RE: Best practices for shutting down the Delphix Engine

Posted 05-21-2014 02:38:00 PM
    Is there a way to shut down all the VDBs at the same time?  maybe via CLI or API?  It's very time consuming to shut down each one in turn via the GUI

• 5.  RE: Best practices for shutting down the Delphix Engine

Posted 05-21-2014 03:12:00 PM
    Hi Mark,
    Great question, currently there is no way to do this- can I ask what use case this is for? I can put in a Request for Enhancement for you with a little more information. 

• 6.  RE: Best practices for shutting down the Delphix Engine

Posted 05-21-2014 03:27:00 PM
    Hi Jaclyn....the usage was for when we had to install more disks and memory into the delphix host.  We had to shut everything down in Delphix first before we could turn off delphix itself.

• 7.  RE: Best practices for shutting down the Delphix Engine

Posted 05-21-2014 03:35:00 PM
    Ok, I will put in a Request for Enhancement; thanks for the additional information!

• 8.  RE: Best practices for shutting down the Delphix Engine

Posted 05-30-2014 07:20:00 AM
    Thanks Jaclyn....I can't believe that nobody has suggested this before?  Our server team is running some checks on the physical hardware of our delphix environment today and I had to manually disabled about 20 dSources and manually shut down about 90 VDBs...very time consuming...esp when some had to be shut down twice as it never shut down on the first click.