Delphix Products

Expand all | Collapse all

In the setup of SAP ASE datasource, what is the meaning of Staging Server and Remote Server?

• 1.  In the setup of SAP ASE datasource, what is the meaning of Staging Server and Remote Server?

Posted 09-18-2017 08:08:00 AM
    In the setup of SAP ASE data source, in the section of "Source of Production Dump".
    What is the meaning of Staging Server and Remote Server?

#Virtualization

• 2.  RE: In the setup of SAP ASE datasource, what is the meaning of Staging Server and Remote Server?
    Best Answer

Posted 09-18-2017 11:06:00 AM
    Hi Danny,

As I mentioned in my previous posting, the staging ASE instance is the ASE instance that will load all of the database or transaction log dumps that are created by the source database.

Normally, you would not want to make the staging ASE instance reside on the same host as the source ASE instance. Or for that matter, you normally would not want to use the source ASE instance as the staging instance. You can use a single ASE instance (source/staging/target) for everything. I do this for my lab environment to cut down on the number of VMs I use.

Since Delphix just uses "LOAD DATABASE" or "LOAD TRANSACTION" commands to load the database dumps into the staging ASE instance, the dumps need to be accessible to the staging database. I have seen customers make the dumps available in a number of ways:
    • Share an NFS drive containing the dumps from the production host to the staging host
    • Copy files from prod to staging
    • Network Attached Storage (NAS) replication
    When linking the dSource, we have to consider where the dump files are relative to the staging ASE instance.

• If the dumps are made available locally to the staging ASE instance's Backup Server, via one of the above methods, they are considered "local".
    • If the dumps are not available to the staging ASE instance's backup server, they are "remote".
    If the dumps will not be made available to the staging ASE instance locally, we link the dSource using the "Advanced" options and specify the details for the "remote" backup server. Under the covers, Delphix logs into the ASE staging instance and issues the "LOAD" command using the "AT" clause to specify the source database's backup server will be used to load the dumps:
    load database pubs2          from "/dumps/pubs2.s1" at SOURCE_BKP_SERVER          stripe on "/dumps/pubs2.s2" at SOURCE_BKP_SERVER          stripe on "/dumps/pubs2.s3" at SOURCE_BKP_SERVER
    I hope that helps.

Thanks,
      Neal