Delphix Products

• 1.  What is the auto-discovery algorithm for Oracle environments?

Posted 04-15-2015 04:45:00 PM
    I know Delphix does some sort of auto-discovery when I add/refresh an environment.  What exactly does it do?

• 2.  RE: What is the auto-discovery algorithm for Oracle environments?

Posted 04-27-2015 10:37:00 PM
    Hi Johnston,
    Delphix does quite a few things. In general this is what is occurring:

Determines cluster version and home

Get cluster nodes

Determine scan listener

Determine cluster name

Discover each nodes listener

Discover Oracle Homes

Discover running instances

Determine listener end points

Create jdbc strings for databases

I hope this helps.

Cheers,
    Dave G.

• 3.  RE: What is the auto-discovery algorithm for Oracle environments?

Posted 05-01-2015 10:15:00 PM
    I'm trying to figure out why a certain Oracle Home was not detected.  Can you tell me if the algorithm uses the inventory, the oratab file, or both?

• 4.  RE: What is the auto-discovery algorithm for Oracle environments?
    Best Answer

Posted 05-01-2015 10:23:00 PM
    In Discover Oracle Homes we check for the oraInst.loc file which will be in either /etc/oraInst.loc or /var/opt/oracle/oraInst.loc depending on the OS. From here we find the oracle inventory directory which this file points to. We then will traverse that to find the Oracle installations.
    The Delphix_OS user will need access to /etc/oraInst.loc or other listed above and the oracle inventory location as well as read access to the files under the inventory location. We need to gather data from some of the oracle xml files to determine the Oracle Home locations etc.
    We will then need access to the ORACLE_HOME as well.
    The best solution is to run hostchecker on any new target or source server to verify things are setup correctly as the delphix_os user.
    I hope this helps.
    Cheers,
    Dave G.

• 5.  RE: What is the auto-discovery algorithm for Oracle environments?

Posted 09-15-2015 03:00:00 PM
    Johnston, you may be interested in this article, which explain the algorithm in detail:
    https://community.delphix.com/delphix/topics/oracle-single-instance-autodiscovery-algorithm