Delphix Products

• 1.  Seibel

Posted 04-02-2015 01:01:00 PM
    Is anyone using a Delphix with Seibel?
    #Tip

• 2.  RE: Seibel

Posted 04-02-2015 01:25:00 PM
    Yes, at least one organization in which I'm personally involved.  Do you have any specific questions?

• 3.  RE: Seibel

Posted 04-02-2015 01:30:00 PM
    Thanks Tom for your prompt response.  We are interested in using Delphix for test data. We would like to use it for our Seibel database (Oracle).  There is some concern (not sure why) about the performance of doing so.  So I was wondering what kind of exppperience other users have had. Thanks Tom!

• 4.  RE: Seibel

Posted 04-02-2015 01:33:00 PM
    Also can you give me some indication of size that the organization is. Thanks Lee

• 5.  RE: Seibel
    Best Answer

Posted 04-02-2015 03:30:00 PM
    The Delphix Engine is configured as a virtual machine either on-premise (using VMware or OpenStack) or in the cloud (Amazon Web Services), so the performance you get from it is determined by the resources (i.e. CPU, RAM, network, storage) allocated to it.  Probably the biggest limiting factor on the performance of Delphix is storage.  If you allocate sub-par storage to the virtual machine where the appliance resides, then you are not likely to meet high expectations for performance.  The other resources, particularly network, can be important, especially the network between the Delphix Engine VM and the servers on which the "virtual databases" or "virtual file copies" reside.  As with any network-attached storage, the performance of VDBs can be impacted by sub-par network configuration.

Another issue is where customers shoot themselves in the foot by not adhering to the requirements and recommendations that Delphix makes for the virtual machine itself.  We require "reservations" on vRAM to ensure that the memory allocated to the VM is not "stolen" by other VMs or the hypervisor, but frequently customers ignore that because it is counter to their "standards".  We also recommend "reservations" for vCPU for the same reason, and frequently that is also ignored due to "standards" for other VMs.  The end result is that, as performance utilization in the cluster spikes, the Delphix VM is frequently starved for CPU and RAM, resulting in uneven performance or intermittent poor performance.

As with many things, you get from it what you put into it.

Hope this helps!

• 6.  RE: Seibel
    Best Answer

Posted 04-02-2015 03:36:00 PM
    The organization is large and mature, an international manufacturer, distributor, and retailer.  The Siebel databases are less than 1 TB.

• 7.  RE: Seibel

Posted 04-02-2015 03:49:00 PM
    Thanks Tom this is very helpful.