Delphix Products

View Only
  • 1.  Refresh from Any Point in Time via Delphix Self-Service

Posted 07-10-2019 09:45:00 AM
    ​Hi,

We have a use case where developers want to be able to refresh non-production environments from production backups from any-point in time themselves. We have these production dsources set up in delphix with log sync enabled and have put them into a data template, but we can't use bookmark feature in the data template to refresh the data containers (icon is greyed out - i'm assuming this is because we have dSources in the data template). How would you go about achieving this use case... ideally within Delphix Self-Service? It would be great if we could use the bookmark feature against dSources within a data template.

Thanks​

------------------------------
    Meagan Howe
    Database Admin.
    New Jersey Manufacturers Insurance Company

• 2.  RE: Refresh from Any Point in Time via Delphix Self-Service

Posted 07-10-2019 11:47:00 AM
    Meagan,

It is indeed possible for Self-Service administrators to create bookmarks on the timeline of the Self-Service Template, which in your case might be based on the underlying dSource?

For example, in Delphix field services, we have automated the creation of shared bookmarks matching the snapshots on the underlying dSource, visible on the Self-Service template, using a Post-Sync hook on the dSource.?? This automation permits Self-Service data users to refresh to, restore to, or branch to those bookmarks on the template, from within their containers (a.k.a. data pods).

Likewise, a Self-Service administrator can also "manually" create shared bookmarks on the template timeline from the Self-Service portal, and of course we can use the Delphix REST API or CLI to automate other ad-hoc or scheduled functionality.

Does this help?

Please let me know if you have any additional questions?

Thanks!

TIM GORMAN
    Sr Technical Manager, Field Services
    M:??+1 303-885-4526 E:??tim.gorman@delphix.com
    Delphix.com
    Twitter LinkedIn Github Instagram Skype

• 3.  RE: Refresh from Any Point in Time via Delphix Self-Service

Posted 07-10-2019 01:09:00 PM
    Hi Tim,

Correct - the data template contains several dSources, but the option to take bookmarks is greyed out so I'm unable to create any bookmarks within this data template. If i look at another data template with vDBs as the source the option to take a bookmark is not greyed out and I am able to take bookmarks. I'm signed in as a Delphix Admin. Should I open a case with support to diagnose further?

Thanks,

Meagan Howe
    Database Admin.

• 4.  RE: Refresh from Any Point in Time via Delphix Self-Service

Posted 07-10-2019 06:25:00 PM
    Meagan,

Just to verify...

So, while logged into the Self-Service portal as a Delphix Admin account, you are first viewing the Self-Service container or datapod (in this example named VPDBX1)...
    At the top of the screen to the left, you have a trail of breadcrumbs starting with the label Data Operations.?? From left to right, the breadcrumbs are Self-Service Template, then Self-Service container/datapod, then Self-Service branch within container/datapod.?? In this example, from left to right...

• Self-Service Template is named "PDBX1 dSource"
    • Self-Service Container/datapod is named "VPDBX1 container"
    • Self-Service branch within container is named "default"

Please click on the link within the template name in the breadcrumbs, and you will navigate to the Data Operations page for the template...

Now that you are viewing the timeline of the template, click on a point in the timeline (in the middle of the screen) to highlight that point-in-time...

Now you can click on the active Bookmark button at the top, or click on the smaller Bookmark icon in the dialog box near the timeline to add the bookmark...

...and now you will have a Self-Service shared bookmark within the timeflow of the Self-Service Template based on the dSource.

Please let me know if that helps?

Thanks!

TIM GORMAN
    Delphix.com

• 5.  RE: Refresh from Any Point in Time via Delphix Self-Service

Posted 07-11-2019 07:46:00 AM
    Hi Tim,

Correct, that is where I am within Delphix Self-Service as a Delphix Admin. Another member of my team was eventually able to take a bookmark... It seems like once we click on a point on the timeline it takes about 3 mins or so for it to allow us to take a bookmark within this specific data template. Is this normal? I know we do have a large number of snapshots attached to these dSources (5 total dSources within this data template with about 1600 snapshots for each dSource).

Also as you mentioned before we'd love to take advantage of the automated creation of shared bookmarks matching the snapshots on the underlying dSource within the data template. How would we go about setting this up?

Thanks,

Meagan Howe
    Database Admin.

• 6.  RE: Refresh from Any Point in Time via Delphix Self-Service

Posted 07-11-2019 08:34:00 AM
    Meagan,

Such slow performance is certainly not to be expected.?? It would make sense to open a case with Delphix Support on this issue?

As far as automated creation of shared bookmarks on the template's timeflow, we in field services can share the bash shell-script to be used as a Post-Sync "hook" on your dSource.?? Do you have anyone in your organization who will take "ownership" of the shell-script going forward??? Because such scripts likely need to be customized for your company's local systems.?? Also, "hook" scripts are not a standard part of the Delphix product and therefore aren't supported by Delphix Support.?? The Delphix features used by "hook" scripts are indeed supported, but the scripts themselves are not, if that makes sense?

My email address is "tim.gorman@delphix.com";?? please feel free to contact me off-line about these hooks?

As a side-note, we in field services are seeking to publish such hook scripts on github so that everyone can browse and download such open-source templates as they wish, but progress has been slow, as everyone is so busy working with customers.

Hope this helps?

Thanks!

TIM GORMAN
    Delphix.com