View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Snapshots and Self-Service Refresh

• 1.  Snapshots and Self-Service Refresh

Posted 07-25-2019 05:39:00 AM
    #virtualization #self_service #self-service

Hi All,

I wanted to understand the working in the following scenario :

1. In the management app, I create a dSource with initial ingeation on June 26.​
    2. Then, I take another snapshot on July 19
    3. At this point, I provision a vDB from the July 19, snapshot
    4. In Self-Service, I then create a data template having the dSource as the source
    5. I define a container and the vDB created above is added to that
    6. I then go back to Management App, and for the dSource, take another snapshot on July 25
    7. I go back to Self-Service App, i refresh the container
      1. This would mean the vDB is now refreshed from the latest snapshot on the dSource, i.e, the one on July 25th
    8. I go back to management app, and i try to delete the snapshot from July 19
      1. Here is where i get the error citing "Dependent vDB exists - cannot delete the snapshot"

Question - Once the vDB is refreshed from the latest snapshot on July 25, why is the July 19 snapshot still needed ? And since it should not be needed, should it not allow me to delete that ?

Regards,
    Mayank
    ​​

• 2.  RE: Snapshots and Self-Service Refresh

Posted 07-25-2019 06:04:00 AM
      |   view attached
    Hi Mayank,

It's me again ;)

You can't delete snapshots which has Bookmarks in Self Service. So if you click refresh button yesterday Delphix takes latest SnapSync from your parent (dSource, or VDB) and creates for you new part of Timeline. But if you have created any Bookmark on 'old' incarnation of container, you can always back to old Bookmarks.
    If you want to delete Snapshot from 19th July, you need to remove Bookmarks from OLD timeline, click on Bookmark, and select trash.
    In fact, old timeline without bookmarks will be deleted automatically based on you retention policy. 

See information in docs:
    https://docs.delphix.com/docs/delphix-self-service/delphix-self-service-admin-guide/understanding-data-containers

Bookmark
    This creates a semantic name for a point in time and prevents this data from being removed by the retention policy. Bookmarks can be annotated with tags to make them easier to search for. In addition to tags, bookmarks allow a user to enter a description of what the bookmark represents.

Regards
    Marcin

------------------------------
    Marcin Kwasninski
    Technical Principal
    Spica Solutions

• 3.  RE: Snapshots and Self-Service Refresh

Posted 07-25-2019 06:27:00 AM
    Thank you Marcin.

I do not have any bookmarks on the old timeline, but still I can't delete the snapshot :)

• 4.  RE: Snapshots and Self-Service Refresh

Posted 07-25-2019 07:55:00 AM
    Maybe another JS Container, or VDB from this dSource ?

Marcin Kwasninski
    Technical Principal
    Spica Solutions

• 5.  RE: Snapshots and Self-Service Refresh

Posted 07-25-2019 08:18:00 AM
    Nope I have only JS container, and just 1 vDB from the dSource - which is the same vDB in my only 1 container that I refreshed

• 6.  RE: Snapshots and Self-Service Refresh
    Best Answer

Posted 07-26-2019 08:01:00 AM
    Hi Mayank,

What's the retention period on the VDB?  I suspect it is the default of 7 days so the VDB still requires that snapshot.  If you reduce the retention period you should be able to delete it.

Matthew Griffith
    Principal Consultant and Trainer
    https://thedatalobby.kuzodata.com
    Kuzo Data

• 7.  RE: Snapshots and Self-Service Refresh

Posted 07-26-2019 08:10:00 AM
    Thank you Matthew. This is what I had thought as well, so what I did is following :

On the vDB, take a new snapshot on 26.07
    Change the retention policy on the vDB to 0 days --> Which means only last snapshot on 26.07 is needed

Go back to dSource and try to delete the snapshot from 19.07, from which the vDB was initially provisioned, but later I had taken the new snapshot on 25.07 and then refreshed the container which has the vDB from self-service.

Still, I can't delete the 19.07 snapshot on the dSource -- Still same error that vDB is dependent on that.

Regards,
    Mayank

• 8.  RE: Snapshots and Self-Service Refresh

Posted 07-26-2019 08:22:00 AM
    Edited by Matthew Griffith 07-26-2019 08:30:30 AM
      |   view attached
    Can you share a screenshot of the capacity screen showing the expanded data sets (like the sample below)?

Matthew Griffith
    Kuzo Data

• 9.  RE: Snapshots and Self-Service Refresh

Posted 07-26-2019 08:36:00 AM
    Alright, looking at that screen, solved my problem.....thank you Matthew :)

• 10.  RE: Snapshots and Self-Service Refresh

Posted 07-26-2019 09:07:00 AM
    It might be worth mentioning how you solved it Mayank, just in case others with a similar issue find this post.

Matthew Griffith
    Kuzo Data

• 11.  RE: Snapshots and Self-Service Refresh

Posted 07-26-2019 09:35:00 AM
    It was a silly error from my end. Whilst i ensured that the vDB provisioned from the dSource had the right policies and refreshed from the correct dSource snapshot, i forgot to update the policies on the dSource itself,  as a result - I wasn't able to delete the older snapshot even though the vDB wasn't using it