Delphix Community Platform

View Only
  • 1.  Share your voice as a DataOps Professional

Posted 07-15-2019 10:44:00 AM
    We are looking for your voice, your experience, and your opinion. Please take a few minutes to answer the following questions. Your experience may be included in our first ever Data Company Magazine. If we'd like to use your responses, we will definitely ask for your approval.
    Please respond to this thread with your answers to the following 2 questions: 
    1. How do you relate to the concept that Every Company is a Data Company?
    2. What is your best piece of advice for others as they build data-driven organizations?
    Thank you!

------------------------------
    Michael Torok
    Director of Knowledge and Community Management
    Delphix

• 2.  RE: Share your voice as a DataOps Professional

Posted 07-15-2019 02:11:00 PM
    Hello Michael,
    Here are my answers:
    1. Most companies are data-driven companies
    2. Protect your systems against data breaches and keep all operations as dynamic as possible, meaning implement a CICD strategy, destroy VMs and VDBs as soons as they are no longer needed, etc.
    Thanks,
    Pierre Morel

Pierre Morel
    DBA
    Dell

• 3.  RE: Share your voice as a DataOps Professional

Posted 07-15-2019 05:51:00 PM
    Michael,

My thoughts...

1. How do you relate to the concept that??Every Company is a Data Company?

People who always say, "I do it that way because I've *always* done it that way" or "if it ain't broke don't fix it" are creatures of habit, and it takes nothing less than a catastrophe to change their habits, even when there was earlier indications to change.

"I do it that way because I've *always* done it that way" is one of the worst form of blindness in a person, and though people will cite it for simple things like baking biscuits, that analogy falls apart quickly when dealing with anything more complex.?? Same thing is true with a corporation, where it represents either unwillingness to think or fear of taking a risk, each of which are not progressive behavior.

"if it ain't broke don't fix it" might work well if nothing in the stack of technology has changed, but if something has changed, chances are good that there is now a better way to do it.?? Just because something still works (i.e. "ain't broke") doesn't mean it is right anymore.

Data-driven people keep their eyes open, watch for new symptoms, capture new information, and attempt to understand it rather than ignoring it.

The same is true of a data-driven company.?? It can be a mom-and-pop operation or it can be a multinational conglomerate, when new ideas are quashed without any data to justify the quashing, then it is not a data-driven company.?? Likewise, if new ideas never emerge because nobody is seeking them, then it is not a data-driven company.

Long story short:?? a data-driven company is watching the road far ahead, so that it is ready for challenges before they arrive.

2. What is your best piece of advice for others as they build data-driven organizations?

Just because you never analyzed your own data before doesn't mean you shouldn't do so now, because there are so many tools to do this inexpensively.?? If you cannot analyze or share data because of its quantity or because of security concerns, then there are ways to solve those problems without breaking anything, so find them and don't give up.?? Nothing beats the confidence resulting from data-driven insights.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Thanks!

TIM GORMAN
    Sr Technical Manager, Field Services
    M:??+1 303-885-4526 E:??tim.gorman@delphix.com
    Delphix.com
    Twitter LinkedIn Github Instagram Skype