Delphix Products

View Only
  • 1.  does delhix support VDB creation based on conditions(SQL query) other than based on timeframes? if yes, how.

Posted 11-19-2019 11:44:00 PM
    hi team, i have a general question about delphix.

1. I undestand,  because Delphix provides VDB option, it gives a capability to capture data for a timeframe ,but does it do subsetting??? 
    by subsetting i mean if i want to create a vdb from Source giving some conditions in select query, does delphix do that? if yes,  please share the link where i can see how. 

2. dsource is full copy of production data, how about dsource to vdb, is it full copy always or i can take some part of data in VDB to load in target environment.

3. if VDB creation is a substitute to subsetting a chunk of data to put it in target environment, can we say this this feature itself is subsetting in VDB??

------------------------------

sonali -
    Trainee
    Higher Logic Community Members

• 2.  RE: does delhix support VDB creation based on conditions(SQL query) other than based on timeframes? if yes, how.

Posted 11-20-2019 02:51:00 AM
    Hi Sonali,
    Here are the answers. 
    1) Delphix always provide full data. You can run scripts against a DB for subset or other purposes.
    2) vDBs are generally run in target environments and are exact same as source db from a developer or application point of view. dSource is not a database.
    3) Delphix does not put any data to target. It opens a database in target environment.

BR,
    Rahim Cetinel
    Solution Architect | Delphix Blackbelt
    Accuras, Turkey

• 3.  RE: does delhix support VDB creation based on conditions(SQL query) other than based on timeframes? if yes, how.

Posted 12-12-2019 10:01:00 PM
    Hi Rahim,

I want to know if there is certification available that  we can take for delphix???

i was searching for it but dont see anything except 1 thread with the same question asked in 2014.
    could you please help me with the full info on it??? 

sonali '-
    Trainee
    Delphix Community Members

• 4.  RE: does delhix support VDB creation based on conditions(SQL query) other than based on timeframes? if yes, how.

Posted 12-13-2019 10:41:00 AM
    This is answered by @Matthew Griffith here:https://community.delphix.com/communities/communityhome/digestviewer/viewthread?MessageKey=c17b72db-9f0f-42ca-9d7a-15e3b52750eb. ​

Michael Torok
    Director of Knowledge and Community Management
    Delphix

• 5.  RE: does delhix support VDB creation based on conditions(SQL query) other than based on timeframes? if yes, how.

Posted 11-20-2019 04:45:00 AM
    Edited by Matthew Griffith 11-20-2019 04:44:58 AM
    Hi Sonali,

Rahim is technically correct.  

I am asked this question a lot and my answer is always why?  Why do you want to subset your data?  Remember, a VDB is a thin copy of the source database where it uses up almost zero storage to provision.  Some answers I hear are:

1. I want to reduce storage usage - a full copy of the source uses the same storage space as a subsetted copy*
    2. I want to provision copies to several devs/testers/etc each with their own schema - just provision more VDBs**
    3. I want to remove sensitive data - use data masking***

* in fact, due to the nature of Delphix (copy-on-write), subsetting can use more space
    ** give each data consumer their own private full copy (datapod) and let them use it how ever they desire
    *** Delphix masking can in fact subset data if used on-the-fly, otherwise just mask the sensitive data

So Sonali, why do you want to subset your data?

Matt Griffith
    Principal Consultant
    https://thedatalobby.kuzodata.com
    Kuzo Data