Delphix Products

View Only
  • 1.  Template Snapshot using CLI

Posted 08-12-2019 04:35:00 AM
    ​Hi All

Need your help in setting up below using Delphix CLI

Requirement : Create daily snapshot of Template VDB based on varying time stamp as a input so that container can be refreshed.

For example : There is one table in the database which records timestamp value for process in one column and to this timestamp I want to have a snapshot.  The problem is that the time would vary daily by 15-20 mins

How we do currently in normal Oracle DB :
    1. Take incremental backup at fixed time and then recover the database to point in time using archive log

Thanks in advance!

regards
    Kapil

------------------------------
    Kapil Jhunjhunwala

Kapil Jhunjhunwala

• 2.  RE: Template Snapshot using CLI

Posted 08-13-2019 04:49:00 AM
    Hi Kapil,

If I understand correctly, you want to refresh a Self Service container from template to the particular point in time, is that correct ? 
    This is possible but you have to make sure that your template database is configured in archive log ( if this is a VDB ) or with LogSync if this is a dSource.

If you can download an additional software, I would recommend to use a set of scripts provided by dxtoolkit (https://github.com/delphix/dxtoolkit/releases).
    There is a command which allow you to restore your container database to point in time from template database.

dx_ctl_js_container -d <de name> -action restore -template_name <template name>-container_name <cont name> -timestamp "2017-04-15 12:00:00" -fromtemplate

regards,
    Marcin

fMarcin Przepiorowski
    Technical Principal
    Delphix

• 3.  RE: Template Snapshot using CLI

Posted 08-14-2019 06:07:00 AM
    Hi Marcin

Thanks for your quick response. Unfortunately we are having very controlled environment and wont be able to download additional software.
    Is there any other way to accomplish it ​?

Actually I am looking for creating 3 Snaps daily ( all 3 would be at different timing ) and then this snaps would be used to refresh 30 more database(s) with 1:10 ratio

Thanks
    Kapil Jhunjhunwala

Kapil Jhunjhunwala
    Delphix Community Member
    HSBC

• 4.  RE: Template Snapshot using CLI

Posted 08-15-2019 03:51:00 AM
    Hi,

So you want to take a snapshot of dSource/VDB which is a parent database of your container at the particular time 
    or you want to restore a container VDB to a particular point in time ? 

regards,
    Marcin

fMarcin Przepiorowski
    Technical Principal
    Delphix