Benefits of Indexes in case of Virtual DBs

• Question
  • Updated 1 month ago
  • Answered
Hi All,

I have a question on how indexing works on tables.

For instance if I am working on an Oracle DB, creating Indexes on columns speeds up the search because of how the data is stored in the DB.

However, in case of a Virtual DB, the data file doesn't reside on the DB server, instead the data i stored in storage attached to Delphix Virtualization Engine. In this case, does having Indexes on tables have the same or any impact to speed up the search on the tables ?

Regards,
Mayank
Photo of Mayank Ahluwalia

Mayank Ahluwalia

• 268 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

Posted 1 month ago

Photo of Neal Stack

Neal Stack, Employee

• 2,902 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Hello Mayank,

You should consider a VDB the same as a physical database. Indexes should be created and maintained in a VDB just as you would for a physical database.

Thanks,
  Neal

Mayank Ahluwalia

Thanks Neal
Photo of Matt Griffith

Matt Griffith

• 614 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Hi Mayank,

The advantages and disadvantages of indexes are the same for physical and virtual databases - the database logically stores data the same way for both (the database doesn't know whether it is a VDB or a physical).

You are correct in that the blocks are physically stored differently but as far as the database is concerned, the path to those blocks is the same.

Mayank Ahluwalia

Thanks Matt. I understand that, my question is that does the path really matter from a DB point of view, because eventually the blocks are physically stored elsewhere ?
Photo of Ranzo Taylor

Ranzo Taylor, Employee

• 1,604 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Mayank, it's no difference.  Database files could be on locally attached storage, a SAN, a NAS...even in the cloud.  Indexing approach and benefits are the same.  Indices allow you to do the same work with fewer block fetches for most types of workloads....faster performance.

Mayank Ahluwalia

Thanks Ranzo !!