Delphix Engine unable to resolve scanname(rac database) under sepeate VLAN without dns server

• Question
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
Delphix Express is not able to resovle scanname(oracle rac) under seperate VLAN without dns server.Is there any way to edit /etc/named.conf under prebuild delphix engine to fix this issue?
Or any ideas who had same issues?
Photo of cico

cico

• 180 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Adam Bowen

Adam Bowen, Official Rep

• 21,126 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Cico,

You can add/change the DNS settings of the Delphix Engine via the admin portal. From the login page, click the "Server Setup" link, then enter the username and password (default is sysadmin/sysadmin). Once there you can change the dns settings. See pics below

Photo of cico

cico

Thanks for your Reply.

However problem is I do not have dns server under this VLAN that is why I need to find a way to edit /etc/named.conf under engine server.
Without dns server did anybody able to find a way to let engine resolve scanname?
Photo of Adam Bowen

Adam Bowen, Official Rep

Oh, I misunderstood your question earlier. The underlying operating system is not accessible to perform the suggested options. As this is not exclusive to Delphix Express, I am going to move this question to the general forum so that you can get a wider audience. 
Photo of Adam Bowen

Adam Bowen, Official Rep

Official Response
I discussed this with some colleagues to get a consensus before answering. Ultimately, if you need to have name resolution, you need to be able to access a DNS server. The operating system of the Delphix Engine is not accessible, nor modifiable. You could either:
  1. Ask for fw rules to allow you to query the DNS servers
  2. Setup your own little DNS stubs on a Linux/Windows machine in your VLAN to service those requests for you.
Photo of cico

cico

Thanks Adam for those details.

I will build my dns server for this VLAN.
Photo of cico

cico

Hi Adam,

I have multiple DNS servers under my VLAN and I saw the order of DNS causes the name resolution timeout issues.
Can you please check what is the the timeout period for first dns query from Delphix Engine internal?
Photo of Adam Bowen

Adam Bowen, Official Rep

I will ask.