Is it Possible that Source, DE,target all three will have different OS

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Answered
Is it Possible that Source, DE, target all three will have different OS or it is mandatory that all three servers must have same Operating system.
Photo of Nikhil Jain

Nikhil Jain

• 494 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Jatinder Luthra

Jatinder Luthra, Employee

• 3,018 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
Hello Nikhil,
                Delphix has compatibility between Source and Target OS versions, which you can find in links below.

https://docs.delphix.com/docs/delphix-administration/oracle-environments-and-data-sources/oracle-sup...

https://docs.delphix.com/display/DOCS/Windows+Server+OS+and+SQL+Server+DBMS+Compatibility+Matrices
Photo of Nikhil Jain

Nikhil Jain

thanks, and what about Delphix engine OS
Photo of Jatinder Luthra

Hello Nikhil,
                  Delphix supports all compatible versions of Sources/Targets listed under docs.delphix.com.

You don't need to worry about match of Source/Target OS versions with Delphix OS version. 
Photo of Nikhil Jain

Nikhil Jain

it means ..if we can different valid combination on source and target. so it means we can easily migrate database from one OS to another OS using Delphix, am I correct.
Photo of Jatinder Luthra

Hello Nikhil,
                  Apologies, I am not clear on above point.

What exactly are you trying to migrate using Delphix? Is the database "Virtual database" in Delphix?
Photo of Nikhil Jain

Nikhil Jain

Hi Jatinder,
Thanks for your answer of my question, actually I want to make clear that if I am using Solaris on source so can I use Linux for VDB target server.
Photo of Mouhssine SAIDI

Mouhssine SAIDI

• 5,244 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Hi Nikhil,

Source and target should be at least of the same OS type, you can't for example go from an AIX source to a linux target because of the endian format.

Regards,

Mouhssine
Photo of Nikhil Jain

Nikhil Jain

Thanks much for clarification Mouhssine...and Delphix Engine must be running on same OS..right.
Photo of Mouhssine SAIDI

Mouhssine SAIDI

Hi,

It's a bit confusing me.

Delphix engine can be on any supported virtualization solution or cloud.

Regards,

Mouhssine
Photo of Jatinder Luthra

Official Response
Hello Nikhil,
             Delphix Engine is a virtual appliance and has its own proprietary OS. Delphix Engine is completely independent of Source and Target OS and uses common protocols like NFS, iSCSI to interact with different OS.
(Edited)
Photo of Mouhssine SAIDI

Mouhssine SAIDI

Hi,

Jatinder is rigth.

Regards,

Mouhssine