Warning the user when creating a JS Container

• Idea
  • Updated 1 year ago
  • Implemented
Creating a Jetstream container with VDB for a SAP environment is a tricky operation, especially if on the VDB it was launched long running SAP Post-activities:

1. the inexpert user doesn't know that Delphix will refresh the VDB, losing the SAP Postactivities
  2. After Jetstream container was created, the VDB loses his old timeflows

It would be more comfortable when user clicks on "create" button of the "new container" form if Delphix Engine warns: "the VDB will be refreshed and all data will be overwritten. Are you sure to continue?".

Furthermore I'm wondering why it's necessary to refresh VDB in the creation process and if it's necessary, why in the CLI I can't find previous timeflows and so I can't switch timeflow to recover old vdb data.

Thank you.
Gianpiero
Photo of Gianpiero Piccolo

Gianpiero Piccolo

• 2,336 Points 2k badge 2x thumb

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of DJ Burrowes

DJ Burrowes

• 624 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Gianpiero

Great timing. We are, in fact, intending to add just such a warning in the next release.

In general, there's a concern with adding an existing vdb into a jet stream container in that we want to make certain that all the data to be related to the data that is in the container in the template.

Tell me more about this SAP post-activities?  I'm not familiar with this, and it sounds like it is significant.

dj

Gianpiero Piccolo

Thank you for your reply. Could you help me also to understand why refresh is necessary after VDB added into a container?

I'm not an expert, but in very poor words and only to give a very raw summary, SAP Post Activities are SAP procedures. They must be launched (for the current context of this post) after a copy of a DB from another environment due to all old references that have to be updated to a value compatible with new environment. And not only. In many cases their execution requires very very long time (from hours to days). See https://scn.sap.com/thread/258930 for example.

Best Regards.
Gianpiero
Photo of DJ Burrowes

DJ Burrowes

Gianpiero,

We wipe the VDB mainly to help assure consistency. we can't get at the data before you added them right now. Even if we could, Jet Stream relies on all things in a container having some consistency. If you added a container that was created a week ago and another a year ago, we won't feel happy trying to refresh to data from 6 months ago (say). the reset assures that all containers are always the same and consistent as far as Jet Stream's requirements are.

For the SAP Post Activities, in theory there's no reason this couldn't be done after the VDB is added to the Jet Stream Data Container, right?

Gianpiero Piccolo

yes, sure: now that we know, we'll run SAP post activities after VDBs will have added into the container.

I agree with you about VDB consistency: it's better not to give to JS users a tool that could create a mess-up.
However, I'd leave the chance to the admin user only (if only through CLI) for those rare cases to repair some errors (like mine in this case). What do you think about?

Thank you for your feedback.
Best Regards.
Gianpiero
Photo of DJ Burrowes

DJ Burrowes

Gianpiero,

It's a fair question. We're discussing this internally for a future feature.  This conversation has gone into the mix of discussion.  Thanks :-)

dj

Gianpiero Piccolo

• 1,578 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Hi DJ,

yesterday I created a Jetstream container on an 5.2.3 Engine and I saw there is a couple of radio buttons to include or exclude the refresh vdb action. This is a great chance for the users. Could I please know in which version of the Engine this option has been introduced?
Thank you.
Gianpiero