Delphix Toolkits (dxToolkit and dxmToolkit)

View Only
  • 1.  dx_refresh_db.exe trouble

Posted 06-23-2020 04:26:00 PM
    Hello Community,

I am looking to refresh all (9) VDBs in a group from a specific snapshot timestamp from the the dsources.

Snapshots of the dsources are available through 06/12/2020 at 00:15:00.

Running: C:\Program Files\Delphix\DxToolkit2\dx_refresh_db.exe -d "dlx-engine" -group "VDB - Host" -type dsource -timestamp "2020-06-12 00:15:00" -parallel 15

Fails with: 
    There is no DB selected to process on dlx-engine. Please check filter definitions.

I don't want to use "-name" because I want to refresh all VDBs, but nonetheless doing so fails with the same error above.

I am using engine version 5.2.6.2 and Dxtoolkit files dated 10/11/2016, so presumably release 2.2.6.

Refreshing the VDBs from the source through the Delphix mgmt Web UI works.

What could I be missing?

Thanks,
    Adam

------------------------------
    Adam Sennott
    SAN Engineer
    Fitness International

• 2.  RE: dx_refresh_db.exe trouble

Posted 06-23-2020 05:46:00 PM
    The examples here are a little confusing around the -type and -dsource flag:  https://github.com/delphix/dxtoolkit/wiki/dx_refresh_db

But I'm thinking you want to get rid of -type dsource

Ranzo Taylor
    Technical Services Director
    Delphix

• 3.  RE: dx_refresh_db.exe trouble

Posted 06-23-2020 06:36:00 PM
    Ok! So this helped and I can now run a refresh with the latest snapshot.

C:\Program Files\Delphix\DxToolkit2>dx_refresh_db.exe -d "dlx-engine" -group "VDB - Host" -parallel 15

This works.

I still can't get the cmd to recognize a timestamp, though - I wonder if the timestamp can only be used for a single VDB refresh? 

C:\Program Files\Delphix\DxToolkit2>dx_refresh_db.exe -d "dlx-engine" -group "VDB - Host" -timestamp "2020-06-12 00:00:00 PDT" -parallel 15
    Can't find timeflow for point in time recovery. Check if timestamp is in provisioning range
    Error with setting point in time for refresh

The dsource timestamps won't be exactly the same in our case, as with 9 source databases, each snapshot is a few seconds apart.

Thank you,
    Adam

Adam Sennott
    SAN Engineer
    Fitness International

• 4.  RE: dx_refresh_db.exe trouble
    Best Answer

Posted 06-24-2020 03:04:00 AM
    Hello Adam,

You need to provide timestamp without timezone, like '2020-06-12 00:00:00' and it will be covered into a database timezone 
    by dx_refresh_db script. In addition to that, if you will specify time with seconds - dx_refresh_db script will check if database has this exact point in time for recovery.
    If you want to use a snapshot which is displayed as 2020-06-12 00:00 in GUI, you can try to use this command

dx_refresh_db.exe -d "dlx-engine" -group "VDB - Host" -timestamp "2020-06-12 00:00" -parallel 15

In above example, dx_refresh_db will try to find a snapshot which is around this time and not to do exact point in time recovery.

Let me know if that helps.

regards,
    Marcin

Marcin Przepiorowski
    Technical Principal
    Delphix

• 5.  RE: dx_refresh_db.exe trouble

Posted 06-24-2020 01:48:00 PM
    Hi Marcin,

It works! I'd swear I tried it without PDT and without seconds yesterday and it was not working, but now the refresh is working with "2020-06-24 11:30" (I am now up to date with snapshots of the dsource)

Thanks!
    Adam

Adam Sennott
    SAN Engineer
    Fitness International