Delphix Products

View Only
  • 1.  Merging without overwriting new data in lower environment databases

Posted 03-09-2022 12:53:00 PM
    Hello all, 

I'm doing some research into Delphix in order to see if it can be a viable solution for my team's problem with synchronizing our data between multiple databases in different environments.

Our problem statement is as follows:

We have an application that is hosted in multiple nonprod environments and then one production environment. We would like to utilize Delphix so that our production database propagates down to our lower environment databases so that we have consistent data.  

However, we want to make sure that if new records are created in the lower environment tables, those records are not overwritten by the production table when the databases are synched up.

Reading the documentation, it's unclear to me what the behavior of the Database synchronization is in this case. 

Any help on this matter is greatly appreciated.

------------------------------
    Zachary Hirschman
    Delphix Community Members

• 2.  RE: Merging without overwriting new data in lower environment databases

Posted 03-10-2022 09:07:00 AM
    Hi Zachary,
    I've reached out to @Rebecca Karch and she will be in touch with you. If you get an answer you can share back here on the community, I'm sure it would be greatly appreciated by others with the same question(s).
    Thank you and please let me know if I can help get you in touch with our team or if there is something else I can do.

Michael​​

Michael Torok
    Community Mgmt & Experience, Sr. Director
    DelphixMichael Torok
    Community Mgmt & Experience, Sr. Director
    Delphix

• 3.  RE: Merging without overwriting new data in lower environment databases

Posted 03-11-2022 11:43:00 AM
    Zachary, 
    That's an interesting scenario, I'm very interested to hear more. 
    What version of Delphix are you on, are your working w/relational DBs, on what platform?  Lastly, is there any Masking of the data? 
    Please keep us posted, and best of luck with your challenge.
    Cheers, Michelle

[Shelby] [Conway]
    [Data Analyst | Delphix Admin]
    [mconway@amerihealthcaritas.com]
    [ACFC][United States]

• 4.  RE: Merging without overwriting new data in lower environment databases

Posted 03-11-2022 12:11:00 PM
    Since Delphix is keeping track of changes at the data block level on disk, I doubt this would be possible.  You could create a clone of production and then programmatically compare/merge changes.  You can also use a product like Oracle Goldengate, HVR, IBM Datastage, etc, to capture (extract) and propagate (replicate to non-prod) changes.

Lisa Garczynski
    Database Engineer III
    Paychex, Inc.

• 5.  RE: Merging without overwriting new data in lower environment databases

Posted 03-31-2022 09:08:00 AM
    Based on some of the research I've done it sounds to me like the way to accomplish this is by doing what @Lisa Garczynski mentioned and that's using Pre and Post refresh hooks to capture the beginning state of the nonprod databases and then programmatically compare/merge changes after the refresh. Will update here if another solution comes up, thanks for all the responses!​

Zachary Hirschman
    Delphix Community Members