Delphix Products

View Only
  • 1.  Virtualization - Oracle - Table backups in VDB

Posted 12-03-2021 05:19:00 AM
    Hi team,

If I take a backup of a table into another temporary table in the VDB, post VDB refresh, what would happen to this temporary table (which is not on my dSource) ?  Will the table be deleted entirely or just the data ? Is there anyway I can keep this temporary table and data intact post refresh ?

Please help.

Thanks,

------------------------------
    Rajat Solanki
    TCS
    Delphix Community Members

• 2.  RE: Virtualization - Oracle - Table backups in VDB
    Best Answer

Posted 12-03-2021 06:24:00 AM
    Hi Rajat,

I have just had this question on a customer call so thought I'd reply with the same answer.

When you refresh a VDB you replace the whole database with a copy of the source.  Therefore any and all changes that were made in the VDB before the refresh will not be present post refresh.

A common way around this, for tables that need to exist post refresh, is to use Hooks.  An example being a pre-refresh hook that exports the table and a post-refresh hook that imports the table.  You can do this in whichever way best suits you.  Say, with Oracle, create a script that performs an expdp to a filesystem on the target server.  Then another script that performs an impdp of that dump file post refresh.

Hope that helps

Matthew Griffith
    Principal Consultant
    https://thedatalobby.kuzodata.com
    Kuzo Data