Delphix Products

View Only
  • 1.  Data Masking

Posted 11-03-2022 05:43:00 PM
    Hi Team,

I am very new to Delphix data masking. When masking with Delphix do we have a way to see how the data will be masked (even before running masking). Something like running in simulation mode?

If not, how can we make sure that the algorithm we have chosen/ or what we are going to run will produce the expected result without updating the DB?

------------------------------
    sam sam
    Delphix Community Members

• 2.  RE: Data Masking
    Best Answer

Posted 11-04-2022 05:24:00 AM
    Hi Sam Sam,

Good question!  If with your Delphix deployment you have the complete platform, that is Continuous Data (Virtualization) and Continuous Compliance (Masking) you can leverage a virtual database, mask against the VDB in-place, check desired masking results and if not desired change the algorithm or customise it slightly, rewind the VDB to the pre-masking state and try again.  There is no risk to the production as you are working on the VDB and have the agility to time travel.

You could also think about having a Continuous Compliance engine in a test sandbox just for the purposes of checking new algorithms and behaviour away from your actual primary CCE.

I hope this helps and gives you some ideas.

Best regards,
    Scott

Scott Butler
    Senior Solutions Engineer
    Delphix

• 3.  RE: Data Masking

Posted 11-04-2022 07:53:00 AM
    Thank you for the reply, Scott.

So, I assume someone who does not have Data virtualization will have to restrict masking may be just 1 id and revert it back if the masking does not go as you expect.
    Any other way to handle this?

Also, can you please help me with some videos/articles which I can go through to learn Delphix data masking. Anything like Delphix academy etc.?

sam sam

• 4.  RE: Data Masking

Posted 11-04-2022 09:15:00 AM

Hi Sam,
    You may want to explore the library here in this community. There is an in-depth lab and demo for both Fixed-Width and In-Place masking (linked inline). We have a wide variety of resources. You can also find curated demos on the Academy. Once you are logged into the community, Academy videos are all available. 

If your organization has purchased e-learning, those resources are also available to you. 

Thanks,
    Michael

Michael Torok
    Digital Customer Experience, Senior Director
    Delphix

• 5.  RE: Data Masking

Posted 11-04-2022 10:29:00 AM
    Hi,

One option that might prove useful to you if you are comfortable downloading at tool and following the README is to have a look at the Extensibility SDK for Masking.  It is available here: https://download.delphix.com/folder/2876/Delphix%20Product%20Releases/Masking%20SDK/1.11.0.

This SDK ships with all of the same algorithms from the masking product available to test. The include command maskApp command allows you to select any of the pre-defined algorithms and try inputs to see what the corresponding output will look like. The algorithm output when you run on the Delphix engine will differ in terms of exact value - most algorithms use a key to define how the data is permuted or replaced - but the format will be the same.

Hoping this proves helpful!

John Leser
    Staff Engineer
    Delphix

• 6.  RE: Data Masking

Posted 11-06-2022 10:14:00 PM
    Thank you, John, Scott, and Michael for the answers. 

I have a few other questions. 

1) Where is the Delphix engine installed - windows or Linux server?
    2) Once masking is complete where can I see the logs?
    3) What is the process of adding any new custom algorithm?
    4) How can we request the Delphix team to help create and add the new algorithm? any cost associated?
    5) Do we have any videos for Mainframe masking flat files, VSAM, etc.?
    6) I am also looking for the video for Masking using API. 
    7) what is the recommendation (tool, process) for automating masking? any videos?

Thank you in advance.

On Fri, Nov 4, 2022 at 11:31 AM John Leser via Delphix <Mail@delphix.com> wrote:
    Hi, One option that might prove useful to you if you are comfortable downloading at tool and following the README is to have a look at the... -posted to the "Delphix Products" community
    The Delphix Data for DevOps Community

Delphix Products

Post New Message
    Re: Data Masking
    Reply to Group Reply to Sender
    John Leser
    Nov 4, 2022 10:29 AM
    John Leser
    Hi,

One option that might prove useful to you if you are comfortable downloading at tool and following the README is to have a look at the Extensibility SDK for Masking.  It is available here: download.delphix.com/folder/2876/...

This SDK ships with all of the same algorithms from the masking product available to test. The include command maskApp command allows you to select any of the pre-defined algorithms and try inputs to see what the corresponding output will look like. The algorithm output when you run on the Delphix engine will differ in terms of exact value - most algorithms use a key to define how the data is permuted or replaced - but the format will be the same.

John Leser
    Staff Engineer
    Delphix
      Reply to Group Online   View Thread   Recommend   Forward   Flag as Inappropriate  

You are receiving this message because you followed the 'Data Masking' message thread. To unsubscribe from this message thread, go to Unsubscribe.

Update your email preferences to choose the types of email you receive

Unsubscribe from all participation emails

Original Message:
    Sent: 11/4/2022 11:29:00 AM
    Subject: RE: Data Masking

Hi,

One option that might prove useful to you if you are comfortable downloading at tool and following the README is to have a look at the Extensibility SDK for Masking.  It is available here: https://download.delphix.com/folder/2876/Delphix%20Product%20Releases/Masking%20SDK/1.11.0.

John Leser
    Staff Engineer
    Delphix

• 7.  RE: Data Masking

Posted 11-08-2022 10:59:00 PM
    Hi Delphix Team, 

Need your attention here? Hope I am clear with the ask. Please let me know. Thanks

sam sam

• 8.  RE: Data Masking

Posted 11-09-2022 02:46:00 AM
    Some feedback:
    1) Where is the Delphix engine installed - windows or Linux server?
    <It is an applicance, you get an image you load on VMware or other Hypervisors, available also as docker image in version 6.0.17>

2) Once masking is complete where can I see the logs?
    <under monitoring, this is part of masking training, have you had a training?>

3) What is the process of adding any new custom algorithm?
    <See documentation: https://maskingdocs.delphix.com/Securing_Sensitive_Data/Algorithms/Algorithms_Introduction/ - you can also create custom logics using the Java based SDK >

4) How can we request the Delphix team to help create and add the new algorithm? any cost associated?
    <Professional Services are always part of a project, we provide user training, SDK training, automation & API training,... and you get access to our e-learning system>

5) Do we have any videos for Mainframe masking flat files, VSAM, etc.?
    <not sure there are VSAM specific videos >

6) I am also looking for the video for Masking using API.
    < Not that I knew, there are videos for masking and sdk >

7) what is the recommendation (tool, process) for automating masking? any videos?
    < API is based on REST webservices, we use usually CURL and prefer Python for scripting, there is also a command line automation tool called DXM-Toolkit (see Delphix on Github) >

Best regards,
    Tino

Tino Pironti
    Masking SME
    Technical Manager
    Delphix