Delphix Products

View Only
  • 1.  how to test/ping the connectivity from Delphix to Application database using CLI ?

Posted 02-13-2023 04:27:00 AM

Hi Team,

I am testing database connectivity on delphix 6.12 using CLI 

As per the Document they asked to test in "Connectivity"

But my CLI doesn't have any option of "Connectivity". please see the attachment.

Please suggest a way

Thanks

------------------------------
    Parvez Ahmad
    Consultant
    BTP-Icon PTE Ltd.

• 2.  RE: how to test/ping the connectivity from Delphix to Application database using CLI ?

Posted 02-13-2023 04:46:00 AM

Hi Parvez,

If you would like to test via ping, you would need to run a latency test.
    Please see our documentation here: Latency test

You are also able to test latency with hosts that have not been added as environments, more information in the following KBA: KBA5306

Hope the information provided above helps.

Sandro Latini
    Principal Support engineer
    Delphix

• 3.  RE: how to test/ping the connectivity from Delphix to Application database using CLI ?

Posted 02-13-2023 04:53:00 AM

Hi Sandro,

Thanks for your reply, I will check and get back to you.

Regards

Parvez Ahmad
    Consultant
    BTP-Icon PTE Ltd.

• 4.  RE: how to test/ping the connectivity from Delphix to Application database using CLI ?

Posted 02-14-2023 02:22:00 AM

Hi Sandro,

I am actually working with one of our client, and we tried the tip provided by you - but client insist on using "Ping" command from delphix box,but I guess "ping" is not enabled.  another quick help I need is around "crontab" which is also not possible to enable from delphix box. do you have any work around for these both commands ?

Thanks

Parvez Ahmad
    Consultant
    BTP-Icon PTE Ltd.

• 5.  RE: how to test/ping the connectivity from Delphix to Application database using CLI ?

Posted 02-14-2023 02:24:00 AM

Hi Parvez

Unfortunately command line tools such as ping/crontab are not available to the end user on a Delphix Engine

If you could provide some idea of what you are trying to achieve we might be able to provide some suggestions?

Regards

Andrew

Andrew McLennan
    Senior Technical Support Engineer
    Delphix

• 6.  RE: how to test/ping the connectivity from Delphix to Application database using CLI ?

Posted 02-14-2023 02:46:00 AM
    Edited by parvez ahmad ap 02-14-2023 02:48:58 AM

Hi Andrew,

Client wants to ping database server from delphix box, that is where we are looking for any option. About Crontab, client wants to schedule script to monitor job status every 15 minutes and send out email - which is why I raised this question in community. Any help is much appreciated.

another quick question - how do  we run shell script on delphix box :(

Thanks

Parvez Ahmad
    Consultant
    BTP-Icon PTE Ltd.

• 7.  RE: how to test/ping the connectivity from Delphix to Application database using CLI ?
    Best Answer

Posted 02-14-2023 05:56:00 PM

Hello,

For security reasons, customers are not allowed access to any operating system commands on the Delphix Engine (ping, crontab, etc.).

You can test connectivity to any TCP port using the CLI but you have to login to the CLI with an "admin" user, not a "sysadmin" user. I tell from the output, you logged in as a "sysadmin" type user so the "connectivity" command will not be available:

• https://support.delphix.com/Continuous_Data_Engine_(formerly_Virtualization_Engine)/Delphix_Admin/Testing_Connectivity_to_a_Specific_TCP_Port_From_the_Delphix_Engine_(KBA1732)

With regards to the crontab to poll the job, I'm not sure I understand the request. There are 3rd party tools such as dxtoolkit which make it easy to script starting a job, and getting a job status ( https://github.com/delphix/dxtoolkit/wiki/dx_provision_vdb, https://github.com/delphix/dxtoolkit/wiki/dx_get_jobs, etc. ). Using external APIs, scripts, etc. you could control them with crontab on your own host.

If you are looking to poll the job to send out some type of notification, there is an example of sending an email from a VDB's hook:

• https://docs.delphix.com/docs/datasets/getting-started/hook-scripts-for-automation-and-customization/cookbook-of-common-scripts-for-hooks-on-sql-server/example-powershell-script-for-email-notification

Thanks,

Neal

Neal Stack
    Senior Principal Technical Support Engineer
    Delphix

• 8.  RE: how to test/ping the connectivity from Delphix to Application database using CLI ?

Posted 02-21-2023 01:00:00 PM

Hello Parvez, 

Do you have have target server where VDBs are hosted.

You can logged in to any of the target server using delphix_os user and try to ping the any database like prod database or any VDBs that are ingested to delphix.

Also you can download the dxtoolkit on target server to perfrom the verious operations

you can find below link for the dxtoolkit 

https://github.com/delphix/dxtoolkit

PANKAJ ASEGAONKAR
    Delphix masking analyst
    Infosys

• 9.  RE: how to test/ping the connectivity from Delphix to Application database using CLI ?

Posted 02-22-2023 04:12:00 AM

Hi PANKAJ,

Thanks for your reply - YES we are exploring that possiblity.

Regards

Parvez Ahmad
    Consultant
    BTP-Icon PTE Ltd.