Delphix Products

View Only
  • 1.  Add DSource DB fails because there are multiple lite speed backup copies

Posted 09-27-2017 02:29:00 AM
    Something interesting:  I am able to ingest SQL Server lite speed backup files without any issues as long as there is only one backup copy in the backup folder.  Has anyone experienced this type of issue and how do I get around it without removing duplicate copies.

The backups are located in different sub folders but within the major Backup folder.

IE:  \backup\db folder1\db1.bak
           \backup\db folder2\db1.bak

Here is a typical error message:  What if I remove access to "ServerMove" folder.

CRITICAL
    Sep 26, 2017 10:00 PM
    DBA

Title: Source database backup location has multiple files with the same name
    Details: Found multiple backup files for source database "DBA" with the same name "VDC1DBOLTP04_DBA.BKP" in the shared backup location "\\va10pwpsql315v1\G$\SQL01\SQLBackup" at paths: \\va10pwpsql315v1\G$\SQL01\SQLBackup\Backup\VDC1DBOLTP04_DBA.BKP, \\va10pwpsql315v1\G$\SQL01\SQLBackup\ServerMove\VDC1DBOLTP04_DBA.BKP
    User Action: Make sure that the backup location for the source database is correct and that the backup file names are unique.

• 2.  RE: Add DSource DB fails because there are multiple lite speed backup copies
    Best Answer

Posted 09-27-2017 12:07:00 PM
    Hi Arun,

Delphix is designed to recursively search through the designated backup path. See our KB article for more information about this and the "Autodiscover" feature for the backup path. It monitors some tables in the SQL Server instance and when it sees that the file "db1.bak" has been created, it goes out and looks for that file.

Delphix examines every file that it finds matching the file name to see if it belongs to that backup set. If there are multiple files found belonging to the same backup set, Delphix presents this alert because it does not know which one to restore into the staging database.

So it sounds like you have manually defined the backup path to "\\va10pwpsql315v1\G$\SQL01\SQLBackup". If you were to edit the dSource and change the backup location to ""\\va10pwpsql315v1\G$\SQL01\SQLBackup\Backup", Delphix would find only the one file.

Thanks,
      Neal

• 3.  RE: Add DSource DB fails because there are multiple lite speed backup copies

Posted 09-27-2017 12:36:00 PM
    Thank you Neal. I appreciate the feedback.  This helps a great deal.  I am wondering if I am the first one to run across this type of issue.  It would be helpful to have a "radio button" where the first encountered backup file is ingested.  Our test environment is fluid and it would be "nice" to have this feature available if necessary.

• 4.  RE: Add DSource DB fails because there are multiple lite speed backup copies

Posted 09-27-2017 12:57:00 PM
    Hi Arun,

You probably are not the first but I think they probably designed the check for duplicate files and the specific error message to prevent some kind of issue. I went ahead and filed a new feature request for engineering to evaluate the possibility of your suggestion:

IDEA-1039 - SQL Server configuration option to ingest backups when there are duplicate files found 

Thanks,
      Neal