Delphix Products

View Only
  • 1.  Jet Stream user separation

Posted 10-01-2015 08:45:00 AM
    I wonder why there is no possibility to assign Jet Stream console to a user that is administration console user.  

As we can limit what the user can do and see inside the administration console there will be no risk in giving it him this console beside the Jet Stream console.

What is the main idea behind this?

• 2.  RE: Jet Stream user separation

Posted 10-01-2015 09:03:00 AM
    Are you sure that an admin user can't use the jetsream console? which version of Engine are you using? 

Or are you referring to this user property?

The "JS-Only User" flag is disabled due to the previous flag checked: the "Delphix Admin" option includes the JS access: so there is no reason to chek it.

Best Regards.
    Gianpiero

• 3.  RE: Jet Stream user separation

Posted 10-01-2015 09:06:00 AM
    Im referring to regular user. Not an admin. Administrators of course can access JS as they need to configure it. 

• 4.  RE: Jet Stream user separation

Posted 10-01-2015 09:31:00 AM
    Sorry, I understood now.

• 5.  RE: Jet Stream user separation

Posted 10-01-2015 09:36:00 AM
    I added a new user, but I didn't assign to him the "Delphix Admin" flag neither "JS-Only User".
    Then I logged in with this user's credential and the system redirected me to the admin home page.
    I cannot find the "Jetstream" menu item (in the upper right corner, under username), but if I put the JetStream console URL http://[hostname]/jetstream/#mgmt into the address bar of my browser I can access to the JetStream Console. But this user can't create a template neither a container. Neither he can be assigned to any container.

So, you're right! A non-admin user can't work with jetstream console and I agree with your question.

Best Regards.
    Gianpiero

• 6.  RE: Jet Stream user separation
    Best Answer

Posted 10-01-2015 03:34:00 PM
    Robert. That's an interesting point.  you are saying that you would like to have a user who can access (say) just the Jet Stream Data Management page, and also access the Admin App as a non-admin user.  I agree, there is no ability to do this at this time.
    What does this user need to do in the admin app? 

• 7.  RE: Jet Stream user separation

Posted 10-01-2015 04:08:00 PM
    In example he may need to create another vdb from the object that is not in JS.

In general not all objects that user have rights to needs to be added to js. Some of those may be needed ad hoc for limited time so there is no point in adding them to js.

• 8.  RE: Jet Stream user separation

Posted 10-01-2015 11:54:00 PM
    If this person could just create a new Jet Stream container "on the fly" would that work?  (I'm not saying they can right now. More, I'm curious to understand the use case better to help influence future product directions).  

• 9.  RE: Jet Stream user separation

Posted 10-07-2015 09:12:00 AM
    It may work. However this excludes any customization for vdb if understood you correctly. I wonder if you thinking about giving an user ability to use both consoles instead of choice between one or other?  

• 10.  RE: Jet Stream user separation

Posted 10-07-2015 04:55:00 PM
    In what I wrote, I was thinking in terms of still not letting them see the main Admin app.  One of the design directions for Jet Stream is to allow "end users" (devs etc) to be able to manage their data without needing to get into the whole "sysadmin" interface that is the Admin App.  So, I'm curious what kinds of functionality we would really need in Jet Stream to make that possible (and is that even a good direction to go in).
    When you say "excludes any customization of the vdb", do you mean the "vdb config templates" kind of customization, or other details?  What would they want to customize?